Author Topic: Weeing more  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Weeing more
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
Just a quick question.
 over the last couple of months I have noticed that Ben asks to go out for a wee a lot more regularly, also when he wants to go he wants to go now! Is that usual in older dogs? He goes fine throughout the night at the moment, it is mainly throughout the day.
Thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Weeing more
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:08:06 PM »
Some months ago William went through a phase of needing to pee a bit more frequently and needing to go urgently, so I took him and a pee sample to the vet. She did a dipstick test and it showed an infection so he was put on antibiotics, which resolved the problem.

She also said he had traces of crystals (can't remember which sort) and wanted to sell me a particular kibble. As William is raw fed I declined! He's never been one for drinking lots of water and he doesn't cock his leg and mark but tends to go for hours and hours in between pees. So his urine often looks quite yellow and smells a bit strong - like human urine does when someone is dehydrated.

So I started adding filtered water to his breakfast to make sure he has quite a lot of moisture (raw food + water) early on in the day and monitored his drinking habits. For my own satisfaction I then got the vet to do a full urine analysis, not just a dipstick test, a couple of months later, and it came back normal.

I've continued adding filtered water to his breakfast every day. I think it benefits him. I remember when I was a child my mother was always nagging me because I hardly drank anything. I used to get dreadful headaches and ended up with a nasty kidney infection when I was 10, triggered by dehydration, so I know it can cause problems.

I think if Ben was mine I'd take him and a pee sample to the vet and ask her to have a feel of his prostate as well - typical old man problems, but best checked I think.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
Thanks Elaine I will get him checked out. He is drinking more than he used to, I mentioned that to the vet on our Christmas visit and she didn't seem concerned. I was thinking of diabetes, but she wasn't too worried, but I didn't think to mention that he needs to wee more often.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:25 AM »
I think like older people they do suffer more from urinary infections so always worth checking out
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
Definitely worth checking out. It could just be change of food (I once changed to a particular kibble and they started drinking loads more), but it could also be an infection, diabetes or kidney issues. My old lurcher started drinking more water than usual, no cause could be found so by elimination he was diagnosed with psychogenic diabetes insipidus caused by stress. He wasn't on any medication, and his water intake did drop again when things settled down again, so the diagnosis was correct. 
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
I think Elaine is thinking of struvite crystals (nasty little buggers) they irritate the bladder and make them want to wee more! If it is them he will be put on special food to dissolve them! And only that food no treats nothing but that food, you will have to be really strict. Like the others have said it could very well be an infection? Hope this helps? x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
I think Elaine is thinking of struvite crystals (nasty little buggers) they irritate the bladder and make them want to wee more! If it is them he will be put on special food to dissolve them! And only that food no treats nothing but that food, you will have to be really strict. Like the others have said it could very well be an infection? Hope this helps? x x x

William is still on his normal raw food + a few treats and no longer has crystals. I don't know if I was lucky and caught it in time when he had the infection, but I've not had to change his diet.