Author Topic: lump...  (Read 391 times)

Offline PopPops

lump...
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »

Discovered today a lump on Pop's chest.... feels almost like a mole as much as her royal wriggliness will actually let me look. Fatty lumps can happen in response to harnesses can't they, or did I dream that? We're headed to the vet tomorrow to get it checked but has anyone else experienced this?
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: lump...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »

Discovered today a lump on Pop's chest.... feels almost like a mole as much as her royal wriggliness will actually let me look. Fatty lumps can happen in response to harnesses can't they, or did I dream that? We're headed to the vet tomorrow to get it checked but has anyone else experienced this?

Ozzy also has had one for a few days - like Pops, he won't let me look - it seems to have scabbed over now so I think it's probably from a scratch or bite. He has been known to misjudge a jump over a fallen tree and crash chest first into it, so I suspect this is what has happened,   :dunno: if it doesn't go away or gets bigger I'll take him to the vet, but I'm not worrying about it at the moment.  He's due for his first year boosters in a couple of weeks so if it's still there then i'll ask the vet to look.  Not sure about the harness causing it though, sorry.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
Have you been able to look and see if it's a tick? Sorry if that seems like a silly question, but I don't know if you've come across ticks before. If it isn't a tick, but you have them in your area, could it be where a tick has latched on, had it's feed off poor Pops and dropped off? When that happens there's very often a little lump that feels quite hard but usually disappears after a few days.

As piph has said, another possibility is a small injury from running into something or knocking against something.

Young dogs are also prone to harmless lumps called Hystiocytomas. If you do a search on here you'll find quite a few threads about them. They often disappear but are sometimes removed by the vet.

Try and have a better look when Pops is sleeping to see if it looks sore or scabby, but please don't get too worried about it as it's almost certain to be something simple and harmless. Having it checked by the vet is a good idea though :blink:

Offline PopPops

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
The tick thought is a brainwave, that hadn't occurred to me. Her chest fur is pretty thick and curly and while I'm sure there isn't one there now there may well have been without me spotting it. I hadn't thought of the scratch/bump either, the ways she goes crashing through the undergrowth she might well have caught herself on something and I think it's tender, she's not wincing or complaining but she definitely doesn't want me to feel around there. I'll see if it starts to scab over.

Thank you, that helps a lot. Working hard on not worrying about it!
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.