Author Topic: licking bottom  (Read 1480 times)

Offline dog22

• Site Member
  • Benji loved forever- together now with Rosie dog
licking bottom
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
I have just adopted Joey a Romanian cocker spaniel and he is constantly licking his bottom.he has been wormed with Drontal and the other day i took him to a new vet and she said he needed one anal sac emptying.she emptied it in the most strange way i have ever seen from inside but as she is a vet i thought thats good he is sorted but no he is still doing it just as much and has made a wet exzemy patch.i have decided not to go with this particular vet again as she played it down and i know he is being irritated by something but she didnt really look.she said the exzema may have been caused by his licking and she would wait to see if emptying the anal sac worked before she gave him anything for the exzema.i think she should have given him something anyway as now it means another trip to the vets and he hated it enough the first time.i have some tea tree ointment will that be ok to use although i have already put some on and he just licks it off.he was meant to have a health check at the same time but she didnt listen to his heart check his ears teeth eyes nothing at all.Joey and i would be happy to hear anything could make him feel he doesnt have to lick his btm all the time.when he goes for a walk he doesnt do it but he does scoot inside and out.i have checked his poo for worms and there are none also as i say he has been wormed.

Offline anna*sian

Re: licking bottom
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
Hi, have just read your post and wanted to let you know that my vet emptied my dogs anal sacs also from the inside.  I expected it to be done differently from what I'd seen on tv/online etc, but this was the way she did it, but they were fine after.  Sorry to hear about how uncomfortable Joey must be, I'm afraid I'm not sure what may be causing it.  Was he like this before you adopted him?  Has he had a change in food?  Just wondering if going through the process of elimination may help?  I hope someone has an answer for you very soon.

Offline dog22

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
hi and thanks.he doesnt do it all the time just seems to be a habit thing.but he really goes for it when he does it.not pleasant!i have now heard with yours of 3 people who have experienced this way of emptying anal glands.i have asked the people concerned with him before i had him and they say they didnt notice him doing it.he also paces quite a bit and doesnt settle easily.when he sleeps he sleep well but he takes an age to get to that stage and constantly follows me about.i know its early days yet as i have only had him 2 weeks so the pacing may settle but the anal licking is worrying.i told the vets he still did it but they say they cant talk to the vet til tomorrow who saw him.i have checked his poo for worms nothing at all.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Poor Joey, It really does sound like it could be his anal glands that are causing him to lick that area so much. Sometimes they become infected or impacted and then fill up causing the dog discomfort. It is normal for the vet to have expressed the glands internally as this is the most effective way of expressing them but should only be done with the requisite training or the dog may be injured. The other, more common, way of expressing the glands is by applying pressure to them externally which is not always as effective at emptying them. I think Joey probably needs another visit to the vet in case the gland is becoming infected or impacted as he may need a course of antibiotics or other meds to help clear this up. Diet can also play a role in anal gland issues so it may be worth asking your vet about that too. Good luck with you new baby, I'm sure he will settle down soon. Fingers crossed he's all fixed up soon :)   

Offline dog22

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
i am going to make him an appointment but am having trouble finding a vet.am not convinced by the vet i use for my cat they are good for cats but dogs not so i have found the vets i took him to last week were awful and have agreed to refund me as i signed up to their pet plan.another vet i have asked about them and they havnt replied and i dont have a phone at, good old BT,have been off for nearly a week.it doesnt smell like anal glands it smells yeasty.