Author Topic: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....  (Read 22563 times)

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Re: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:54 PM »
woohoo result  :D definitely better out than in ey Jarv  ;)
I'm glad his poorly paw is healing up nicely  :luv:

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
Pleased Jarv's paw is healing.  :D
Thank you for alerting me to the dangers of grass seeds and the advice about Silicea. I have learnt a lot through poor Jarv's misfortune.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
I'm very pleased to hear that Jarvis' paw is healing now, Helen; unlike me you've managed to save yourself a hefty vet bill!  :016:  ;)

I don't think Silica would have expelled the seed from Domino's ear though and I was worried that it would do some damage to his ear drum.

It's worth remembering about the silica for grass seeds in the paws or legs!! :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »

I don't think Silica would have expelled the seed from Domino's ear though and I was worried that it would do some damage to his ear drum.

It's worth remembering about the silica for grass seeds in the paws or legs!! :D

If it had been in his ear it would definitely be the v.e.t's  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
So pleased Jarv is healing well  :luv:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
So pleased Jarvis is doing well :luv: and you managed to get it out, we have just had Selby at the vets for one removing, and he has a lump he called a gangolin dont know how you spell it but he is not sure if its not another grass seed.  I will have to get some of the silica 30c another 2 hours on computer trying to find out if they sell it here in France.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
So pleased Jarvis is doing well :luv: and you managed to get it out, we have just had Selby at the vets for one removing, and he has a lump he called a gangolin dont know how you spell it but he is not sure if its not another grass seed.  I will have to get some of the silica 30c another 2 hours on computer trying to find out if they sell it here in France.

If they don't Lynn gimme a shout and I'll pop to Boots and send you some across...
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »

If they don't Lynn gimme a shout and I'll pop to Boots and send you some across...

if he has a cyst as well and it's like Jarv's then Hepar Sulphur as well. If you can get the remedies pm me and I'll go through the dosage with you.  In the meantime are you able to bathe Selby's foot?  If so I would be bathing it in Epsom Salts and warm water.  If not salt and warm water will definitely help.

Not nice at all  >:(  Poor Selby  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »

[/quote]

if he has a cyst as well and it's like Jarv's then Hepar Sulphur as well. If you can get the remedies pm me and I'll go through the dosage with you.  In the meantime are you able to bathe Selby's foot?  If so I would be bathing it in Epsom Salts and warm water.  If not salt and warm water will definitely help.

Not nice at all  >:(  Poor Selby  :luv:
[/quote]

Thanks Maggie can you pm me please and I will arrange to send a cheque, that is really kind of you.

Thanks Helen I will pm you.

Selby is still milking it :005: :005: he is laid on the bed now.  But to be honest I don't think he is well and seems to have a temp but the vet give him an antibiotic injection because I find it difficult to give him tablets, and his foot is bandaged but he didn't stitch it , we have to take the bandage off in a couple of days.
I just hope the lump is a ganglion we will have to wait and see.  I don't think the weather helps as it is 35 in th shade.

Offline KayJay

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
Hi, I've just joined the forum, though have followed posts as a guest for a while. I've been reading through this thread (my working cocker has been attacking a back foot lately, can't see anything but worried it may be a grass seed), and have considered using silica but always understood it's not to be used on people with pacemakers etc.....wouldn't this also apply to microchipped dogs? Isn't there a risk of the chip being pushed out?
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
Hi, I've just joined the forum, though have followed posts as a guest for a while. I've been reading through this thread (my working cocker has been attacking a back foot lately, can't see anything but worried it may be a grass seed), and have considered using silica but always understood it's not to be used on people with pacemakers etc.....wouldn't this also apply to microchipped dogs? Isn't there a risk of the chip being pushed out?

I can't help with your question but that is interesting as a microchip is a foreign body also  :-\

I wonder.....

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
I've heard that one suggested a lot but I've never ever heard of it actually happening. 

To be honest I wish it had as Jarv's chip has slipped around his shoulder to his side and it would help to have it out so I can replace it  :shades:

On balance after the silicea and Hep sulph I got the grass seed out, the cyst healed with no infection within 4 days and he didn't have to endure a bout of anti-biotics which invariably leads to diawotsit and blocked anal glands  ph34r

You make your own choices and this one definitely worked for us  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline KayJay

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
I emailed a homeopathic vet today to ask, he's not heard of a well-placed chip being expelled, so we're trying the silica....not certain there's a grass seed as I can't see anything, but she attacks between her pads every now and then. Here's hoping..... :D
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »
I emailed a homeopathic vet today to ask, he's not heard of a well-placed chip being expelled, so we're trying the silica....not certain there's a grass seed as I can't see anything, but she attacks between her pads every now and then. Here's hoping..... :D

Crossing everything for you - really really hope it works  :D

I would also suggest bathing the paw in epsom salts or saline solution as well  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
On balance after the silicea and Hep sulph I got the grass seed out, the cyst healed with no infection within 4 days and he didn't have to endure a bout of anti-biotics which invariably leads to diawotsit and blocked anal glands  ph34r

Definately a better result! After seeing you post about silica a few years ago I used it on Mika (not long after we had her she had a grass seed that the vets couldn't find) and hey presto it worked! Would def recommend it!