Author Topic: Breeding tests  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Miss Wish

Breeding tests
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking into breeding my bitch and dog cockers. For love not money! I am not a registered breeder. Both have wonderful natures and temps.

Although I have read the advice posts here (Have also ordered the book) I have a few q's i need answered (in layman's terms!) please:

Hip Displaysia, GPRA/prcd-PRA/ and FN
- Do they need to be tested on both the bitch and dog?
- How much should I expect to pay at a good vets? (Got a quote from dogs vets £500-600 just for hip xrays - is this about right?)

Both dogs registered at KC
- do I have to register as a breeder, even if I don't intend on another litter?
- If I wanted to use the dog as a stud going forward do I need to register us or just him or me?

Bitch is 1/4 worker 3/4 show and dog is working
- is this acceptable and healthy to mix? What would they be called officially?

Many thanks
Any further advice/words of wisdom most welcome!

Ro

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Breeding tests
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Welcome to COL :D

Briefly yes health tests need to be carried out on both parents of a litter and £500 sounds about right for 2 dogs to be hip scored (although vet fees vary depending on when you live) You then have to factor in the costs of the DNA tests for PRA and FN for both dog and bitch (if neither are hereditarily clear based on their parents' tests) DNA tests are also not cheap so you can expect this to come to at least a couple of hundred pounds. You personally do not have to register as a breeder unless you wish to join the KC Assured Breeder Scheme - you just need to ensure both parents are KC registered and free from breeding endorsements & fulfil various other requirements (not too old or too young etc) However breeding a litter is a huge commitment and extremely hard work and really you need a very good reason to do this as there are so many puppies being bred (you only have to look at the puppy sale websites to see this) and not enough good homes to go round. As an experienced breeder, I get quite a few enquiries on a regular basis but only a small percentage will turn out to be suitable new owners which means you sometimes have to keep puppies well beyond the usual 8 weeks if you cannot find good homes by then. Do check out our pinned topics on Breeding here (not sure if you have or not but just in case):

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3428.0

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0

BUT and it's a big but - it really isn't a good idea to mix working/show type breeding (you could get the worst of both worlds) and it's not something you would find recommended on any site which promotes responsible breeding like this one. Sorry if this sounds negative but when you mix up the different strains, the results can be unpredictable and not necessarily what a pet puppy buyer wants eg a puppy with a long, show coat but the drive and stamina of a working dog.

It's great that you are researching first though before going ahead with your plans - so many would just do it without thinking and then have to face the consequences afterwards.

Jane