Author Topic: Chicken necks-probably everyone knows this already except me  (Read 1049 times)

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
Chicken necks-probably everyone knows this already except me
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
Penny adores chicken necks but I haven't given her many lately as she is a trifle overweight. This morning I found two small ones for her in the freezer . As I was defrosting them she was beside herself with anticipation- more animated than I have ever seen her- all four feet off the floor!
I didn't think much about it - I just put them both down on the kitchen tiles then looked away for a second.
When I looked back both had disappeared. She had swallowed them both whole together!
I didn't see her do it. I only know this because within another second both necks were on the tiles covered with vomit. It must have been quite painful, as Penny has been shaken up all day, and so have I. Thank god she vomited them up!
From now on I will be closely supervising chicken bones and not giving them to her when she is overexcited. As for Penny, she spent the day anxiously sniffing the vomited necks ( I put them outside) but not daring to touch them again.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Chicken necks-probably everyone knows this already except me
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Dogs do the most stupid things sometimes don't they, especially when it comes to food. William is much the same with bones and I wonder if it's because he didn't start having raw bones until he was about 5, whereas Louis, who started on them when he was weaned, is much more careful. When William has a chicken wing or neck I hold on to it, even after all these years of raw feeding, to make sure he crunches it up.

I'm glad Penny is OK. Chances are that she would have digested them normally if they'd stayed down though. Cockers are such greedy little monkeys :lol2:

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: Chicken necks-probably everyone knows this already except me
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »
Lady's done that on several occasions too with chicken necks. She swallowed them whole, then vomited them back up again, then eaten them sensibly!  ph34r