Author Topic: Pre op preparation  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Pre op preparation
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
So after waiting till he is 3 years old,  researching of pro/con's , weighing it all up for a long time. Being unsure we have decided to have Riley neutered.
I have him booked in for the op on 30 April.

A couple of questions to others please .
I was told that the op will cost £125 but if I want pre op bloods (recommended on dogs over 7 )  she did reiterate this a couple of times, then saying that Riley was 3 and a healthy chap (on the outside)  well the cost is an extra £50, I think they test the function of liver, kidneys etc and the letter says it determines the best anaesthesia . Anyone had this done ?

Also I know he will not be happy with a comfy collar let alone a cone, it will make him miserable as he hates anything on him over his head.
I know some have used baby gro,s or pants  to stop him getting at stiches etc, any help on this ?
Thank you .

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Pre op preparation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
One thing I would say is vets are very good at getting you to spend more than is necessary, if he is otherwise ok not sure the blood tests are needed. and of course check the prices include VAT, as this can put the price of anything concerning vets up quite a bit. Some vets want you to have the post op food @  :o prices, but I chose to feed my two earlier dogs fish and rice for a couple of days and it did them just as well. There was a thread the other week that I think Sheryl started about Lily's Kitchen recovery food, too.

To find the thread on recovery food, put Lilys Kitchen in search  ;)

Don't know about babygrows (no children), but they sound a good alternative to the collars and won't bang into everything (including you  ;) )

Hope all goes well.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »
One thing I would say is vets are very good at getting you to spend more than is necessary, if he is otherwise ok not sure the blood tests are needed. and of course check the prices include VAT, as this can put the price of anything concerning vets up quite a bit. Some vets want you to have the post op food @  :o prices, but I chose to feed my two earlier dogs fish and rice for a couple of days and it did them just as well. There was a thread the other week that I think Sheryl started about Lily's Kitchen recovery food, too.

Don't know about babygrows (no children), but they sound a good alternative to the collars and won't bang into everything (including you  ;) )

Hope all goes well.

Thank you , I know my last vet was like that, but not these, she was lovely , no hard sell, infact it was her who said and repeated we recommend for dogs over 7, but riley is a healthy young dog. So no she wasnt pushy at all.
I do trust them and just wondered if its something that is routinely done by othere COL,ers or not.
Not a chance I will buy their post op rubbish (erm food)  nothing quite like, chicken, fish and scrambled egg to get my boy his energy back  :luv:

I was thinking some tiny boxers even for him ,lol x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

Hope all goes well.

Thank you , I know my last vet was like that, but not these, she was lovely , no hard sell, infact it was her who said and repeated we recommend for dogs over 7, but riley is a healthy young dog. So no she wasnt pushy at all.
I do trust them and just wondered if its something that is routinely done by othere COL,ers or not.
Not a chance I will buy their post op rubbish (erm food)  nothing quite like, chicken, fish and scrambled egg to get my boy his energy back  :luv:

I was thinking some tiny boxers even for him ,lol x

Aah that's good, some vets do seem to be a bit pushy, Indeed I was amazed the other week when Branston had ear mites and the medication he was given bought him out in a nasty rash...took him back to vets and was given an alternative....free of charge  :D I didn't even get charged for the consultation.......but that doesn't happen often, I have to say - they normally charge less for a return visit, but never had a free one b4. and I have been going there for nearly 20 years or so.

Boxers aye, Frank Bruno and Mike Tyson? ah but they are BIG boxers  ;)

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline assumpta

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
Cotto had his op on Wed and we too were offered the blood tests but the vet said it wasn't necessary as hes only a year old and its normally done on a lot older dogs. If your dog is only 3 and healthy I personally wouldn't feel the need to. We used the comfy collar and it was good but I saw on another site someone had used the pet medical vest....if I had known I would have got one of these but a toddlers vest would do much the same I would think. It honestly never took a fizz out my boy, I think I worried more than him. It cost me £105 incl meds . Good luck and he will be fine :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
I had the pre op tests done on Ben when he was done, even though the vet said it wasn't essential on a young dog because I wanted to be as sure as possible everything was ok before the op went ahead. Perhaps I just worry too much but I didn't want to take the chance there was an undetected problem that might cause issues for Ben. We also paid for extra fluids as she said it speeds up recovery.  Again not sure if that works or not, but wanted to make it as easy as possible for him.
I don't remember giving him any special diet afterwards, but it was a long time ago  :lol2:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »
I have always had preop bloods done. My vet recommends it so there is a normal reading on file for future reference if needed.
Immediately after Archies op he didn't have any kind of collar or babygros. None of the dogs I have had, or those owned by immediate family have either. They normally bounce back really quickly without  bothering with the wound. No special food either!

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »
We just got Daisy done and she's got a babygro and a buster collar, we let her go about during day when she can be supervised in just her babygro:

But overnight she has buster collar too just in case, as I would hate for her to hurt herself or pull out stitches and for us not to be aware until morning. I got some cheap babygros from Asda, I just bought the 18-24 months range and they fit Daisy fine (she's 13kg).

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
No bloods for us pre-op and no collars/babygros etc.  Barney just wasn't bothered about the wound.  Pippa wasn't either when she was spayed.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
Oh thanks all. Oh Daisy  :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
I've bought him a mankini,  ie pet medical vest,  really impressed, he looks like he is about to go swimming.  It will come in handy  if ever needed I future too.