Author Topic: Cockers and cars  (Read 3206 times)

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
Re: Cockers and cars
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
Emma, there is a switch somewhere to disable the motion sensor. If you are having trouble pm me with your car make and model and I will try to help with the mystery switch?

Still won't stop the scumbags when they are determined so don't leave dogs in cars is the only solution.

Also, in the Summer (or Spring weather as we have now) cars can overheat very quickly even with windows open whether using guards or not as many can attest to at events such as the New Forest Show where every year dogs are rescued from being cooked.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
ours  is on the dashboard with a red light that flashes when you lock the doors. press it in to disable motion sensor.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Thanks Barnfield. No magic button on a Volvo XC70. It's a faffy procedure achieved by accessing the main set up menu. I looked it up when I first got the car but decided that as I'm not comfortable leaving Archie in the car anyway, I wouldn't bother getting acquainted with how to do it!  :shades:

Offline JackieT

• Ziggy - working cocker
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »
We have an XC90 and it can be deactivated manually from the dashboard too, but only for that time of locking, you have to do it every time.

A lot of people seem to think that it's never acceptable to leave in the car. If he's in sight the whole time, I'm not worried about theft I don't think. Heatwise, I think even 5 minutes could be a problem in the summer but its probably ok now.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »
If Dot needs to nip into a shop ("I'll just be a few minutes") I stay in the car with the dogs for the half an hour or so that her few minutes usually takes  :005:
When it comes to full on shopping trips we usually leave the dogs at home unless we're going to Costco which has a nice wooded area alongside the car park, fenced and well away from the road, where they can have a run about. Dot shops while I give the dogs a bit of exercise …Perfect  ;)
The procedure for disabling the internal sensors in my Volvo V70 is a bit of a pain in the posterior as well and, as I can never remember it, I have it written down and fixed behind the sun visor  :005:  When we bought Dot's Honda Jazz we didn't specify the internal alarm so don't have problems with having to disable it.
We try never to leave the dogs in either car though as "Just a few minutes" can often stretch to ten minutes, twenty minutes or more and it's better, in my opinion, to get into the habit of not leaving them in the car at all.

When they're in Dot's car they're both on the back seat with harnesses that fit into the seat belt sockets and, in the Volvo, they're in a car crate each in the cargo area fastened down to the load attachment points provided.

Bob.

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
I wouldn't leave my two in the car as apart from the heat many dogs are stolen from cars.

Same here
TOO LATE when some guttersnipe has taken them  >:D >:D >:D >:D
It's just to risky to take the chance.
sady they are not even safe at home these days,
but it's the better of two evils.