Author Topic: Scavenging  (Read 4778 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Scavenging
« on: December 24, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Maisie has developed an obsession with chewing gum when we are out walking.  About 3 weeks ago she found some chewing gum that someone had disposed of by wrapping it back up in the foil wrapper.  She picked it up and had a bit of a chew but I did manage to get it off her but she has obviously developed a liking for the taste.  Now every time we go out she is obsessed with looking for chewing gum stuck on the pavement.  Any white item gets inspected, small stones, small bits of white paper.  If she does find some chewing gum she will try to prise it off the pavement and eat it.  I have managed to get the gum out of her mouth on a couple of occasions but now she has got wise and bolts it down as soon as I try to open her mouth. 

Yesterday she managed to swallow a piece before I could retrieve it and about an hour later was very sick, (thankfully).  I am very concerned about this habit and am considering purchasing a basket muzzle for when I walk her.  Has anyone else resorted to using a basket muzzle on their cocker.  Any advice would be really appreciated.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Scavenging
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 09:26:55 AM »
I use a basket muzzle for Branston as he too is a scavenger. I would say he doesn't like it but at least he can run about off lead and do the normal things like smell, drink etc without the constant worry of him picking up something dangerous and eating it.

It's a good thing that Maisie was sick after chewing the gum as it contains xylitol which can be very dangerous for dogs. I got a size 6 for Branston from Vetuk, but lots of pet shops sell them if you want one in a hurry.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-muzzles-c-628_810/baskerville-muzzle-for-dogs-p-506

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for your advice.  She is just obsessed every time I take her out, even though she cannot be let off lead because she is deaf, it's amazing how quickly she can bolt something down if she puts her mind to it.  This is mine and you are not having it comes to mind.   >:D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:22:56 PM »
Thanks a lot for your advice.  She is just obsessed every time I take her out, even though she cannot be let off lead because she is deaf, it's amazing how quickly she can bolt something down if she puts her mind to it.  This is mine and you are not having it comes to mind.   >:D

Oh yes indeed, they can be very determined and I have had a growl when trying to take things away, even a fantastic  treat is no match for a stolen treasure so to my mind it is better to be safe than sorry and of course Maisie being deaf I imagine it would be very difficult to teach a 'leave it' (Branston is selective deaf!)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 09:25:55 PM »
Hi Andrea,    Hope your year has gone well.   She certainly has her little ways. I have seen a couple of cockers wearing the basket type of muzzle.  They were very friendly dogs,  so the muzzles must have been for scavenging.   
Xlytol sweetener in chewing gum should be banned.  Obviously the stuff gets spat out,   My Labrador would try to get it too.  Nightmare.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 06:21:01 AM »
 ;) Its a good idea to get them used to a muzzle anyway I think, you never know when when you might  need one in an emergency if they‘re in pain or incase of accident and if they‘re already familiar with it, it takes the stress out of the situation. Our trainer held a short training session to introduce them to the dogs, let them sniff them, take treats out of them and then wear them for a couple of seconds at a time  then gradually increasing. Once on, a short game and more treats and they soon see the muzzle as something positive.  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »
Hi Andrea

I would certainly try the muzzle, although I think putting it on madam might need a firm hand :D

They are such determined characters, once seen never forgotten.  We used to stay in a hotel with Ollie and on our return visits he would bolt through the sitting area through the bedroom and into the bathroom as the staff left a dog bowl with water in and dog treats above on a shelf.

All best wishes and hope you get Madam Maisie sorted :luv:

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 07:08:27 PM »
I use treats and break them small enough to be posted through the side gaps of the muzzle once on - once he knew he was not going to left out he was happier  :lol2: Thinner biscuit type treats work best for this, I use Forthglade Training treats and break them down centre line.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 06:05:03 AM »
I have ordered the Baskerville muzzle which should arrive today.  I really don't like having to do this because Maisie has such a gentle nature  :luv:  but I am very concerned about the potential danger to her.  Wish me luck. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
I have ordered the Baskerville muzzle which should arrive today.  I really don't like having to do this because Maisie has such a gentle nature  :luv:  but I am very concerned about the potential danger to her.  Wish me luck.

I‘m sure she‘ll be fine with it once she‘s  used to the idea. Best of luck!  :luv:

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 10:27:50 PM »
@mudmagnets
How big is Branston, just to give an idea?
I am thinking of getting a Baskerville for Salty, but not sure what size to get
does their size guide work?
https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B0062N7LK6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7GHBSL9NL7PN&keywords=baskerville&qid=1641334854&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=baskerville%2Cpets%2C102&sr=1-2&th=1
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-muzzles-c-628_810/baskerville-muzzle-for-dogs-p-506#&gid=1&pid=3
Salty is muzzle length 8 or 8.5 cm and width 22 or 23 cm
so he doesnt fit the guide for both in any one size.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
Branston is the gold dog in the avatar, he weighs approx 13k, he wears a size 6 Baskerville muzzle

Hope that helps.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 09:30:50 PM »
@mudmagnets
Thanks for that and sorry for slow reply

Lovely photo!
How long did it take to get them both to sit still at the same time?
If they are very well trained and behaved - please dont tell me  :D

Salty is also 13 kg
I think I'll try a Size 6 as well

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
hehe! a bit of a mixed bag with the training/behaviour, Branston passed his Gold Good Citizen - no problems  :angel: Minstrel on the other hand did not get past Bronze  :005: Both are reasonably well behaved - just naughty enough to be interesting   ;)

A longish walk and treat held aloft helps in positioning and a good sit/stay.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 10:12:40 PM »
Salty has his size 6 Baskerville anti-scavenging mussel and although he is not its no 1 fan doesn't really mind and it makes it all so much easier for both of us on walks
Its easy to get on and off and he has loads of room to pant although he cant do his normal impression of Wile E Coyote with his tongue on the floor :)
Mainly he has stopped being able to eat anything that does or does not move!
Especially now it is pine processionary caterpillar season here in Portugal now.