Author Topic: growl or purr  (Read 1452 times)

Offline redmond

growl or purr
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Now I realise dogs don't purr but do they do something similar?

I have a couple of working cockers, CJ (3 years old)  and Bailey (2 years old), both dogs and both have had the chop. I have no other behavioural issues with them and both walk well on and off the lead.
However CJ will occasionally perform a low growl.  Sometimes he'll come and sit next to me on the sofa (his own choice) and low growl whilst I make a fuss of him, he'll be wagging his tail at the same time and ask for more fuss if I stop.
He'll also do the same thing if for instance he's carrying a stick/ball

He's been checked out by a vet and there is nothing medically wrong with him and he seems happy enough.

just looking for thoughts

Cheers
CJ & Bailey

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
Re: growl or purr
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
Roxy growls like mad when she is playing especially with her tuggy rope or similar! She sounds very fierce but as she is playing and wagging I just presume that it is 'play' growling, as it is different to the growl she does at other dogs!

She also grumbles (thats a cocker thing I think) if you get up when she has been sat on you or if she is turfed out of the warm bed, or if I make her move to make the bed! Thats definatly not a growl though - just a moan if she was a human!

Offline redmond

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »
yeah, that sounds like CJ  :D
CJ & Bailey

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
my boy is 99.9% of the time silent...me thinks he's a buddhist monk...

However he does growl very quietly and playfully at himself occasionally when he rolls around.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
Ollie does a 'happy growl' as we call it! He is a working cocker and we get the happy growl when one of us come in, he will also do it when he is playing on his own. i think CJ sounds perfectly normal!   

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
Same here, Ruby growls (and wags!) when she's playing, especially when she's playing with her tuggy raggy bone. I think it's quite normal.
Lynn

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »
I just posted on another thread on this - Bella growls very frequently, and if you didn't know her you'd probably think she was being aggressive. She's absolutely not though, she's just very vocal - dogs are entitled to express themselves too, no?  ;)

When you play tug with Bella, it sounds like you're wrestling a pack of wolves; the growling and snarling has to be heard to be believed. But if you stop, she's immediately trying to get you to hold the toy and tug again, tail wagging like crazy.  :005:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Yup, my orange roan used to make little noises (not really growls) when he was being fussed and kissed.  We called it "doggie purr"

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »
Charlie does it, he's just talking to you  :luv: :luv:

Millie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
However CJ will occasionally perform a low growl.  Sometimes he'll come and sit next to me on the sofa (his own choice) and low growl whilst I make a fuss of him, he'll be wagging his tail at the same time and ask for more fuss if I stop.
He'll also do the same thing if for instance he's carrying a stick/ball

Yes, Wilf does this - he's just vocalising his enjoyment (lots of breeds of dog do similar but it may sound different depending on the breed and is sometimes mistaken for something negative when its actually a positive).

Mine also do play growls when they're having fun as well.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Clarabell

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Thea often grumbles if she is moved and is very very vocal when playing. I have posted a question re this as I am never sure if it's her dominant cocker character or if she is being a little spiteful. Reading all the posts has put my mind at rest a little. She is also a very loving girl but gets snappy if I pay attention to other dogs >:D

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
When Erin is relaxed and lying on sofa she sounds like she is 'purring'....I just thought she was odd  :005:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
purring, snoring, sighing... both our girls do this when they are happy and relaxed... but when they are playing we call them the velocir-cockers   :005:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x