Author Topic: Kennel Cough and now Diarrhoea  (Read 1180 times)

Offline chien

Kennel Cough and now Diarrhoea
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
Hello hope someone can help here.  :-\

My 8 month old cocker spaniel seemed to have contracted kennel cough. I'm sure it was kennel cough as a lot of the dogs in the park have had it over the past month or two. She first showed signs of it on the 14th Sept with a cough.  I took her to the vet and he said she seemed ok except for a sore throat. He suggested I give her some metacam anti-inflammatory that i'd previously given her for a injured leg. She didn't seem to want to eat her food and would walk away from the bowl after a nibble then return to it later to nibble some more. I gave her some metacam for a day or two to see if it would ease the pain with her throat and encourage her to eat like she'd previously - it didn't seem to have much effect so i discontinued the metacam. She would ALWAYS eat her food and would never have left the bowl until it was empty. I must mention that I changed her food (bad idea i know during the kennel cough). The reason for this is that I had bought a big bag of Vonzui before she contracted the kennel cough. She seemed ok with the transition phase , i followed the ratio 90:10, 80:20 , down to 50:50 with her old food.

It seems her very intermittent cough finally cleared up around the 24th September. However maybe a coincidence or it's related but she appeared to be sick on this day too.... She was sick twice on the 24th and hasn't been sick since - that's im aware. However she has had constant Diarrhoea from the 24th and she has had an accident in the house 3 times with diarrhoea(very mucus covered) only. She has not peed in the house so I can only assume she struggled to hold it in...poor girl. At least she knew to do it on the tiled floor!

Would you say it's the food or the after effect of the kennel cough? I'm not sure if it's worth taking her to the vet again apart from this diarrhoea she seems fine, full of energy as usual. The vet suggested if I was worried to bring her up or to put her on just brown rice? Is the food change to blame? Is it an after effect of kennel cough?

She is fully up to date with her vaccinations and is wormed every month on nexguard.

Offline AlanT

Re: Kennel Cough and now Diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:44:48 PM »
A fit young dog given AB should clear kennel cough in about a week.

Back to the Vet I think.

We had this a few weeks ago. Vet used this:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-kesium-chewable-tablets-c-21_1063

Classic Amoxycillin derivative.

More common in September because of the damp.

Offline chien

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
A fit young dog given AB should clear kennel cough in about a week.

Back to the Vet I think.

We had this a few weeks ago. Vet used this:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-kesium-chewable-tablets-c-21_1063

Classic Amoxycillin derivative.

More common in September because of the damp.

thanks for the reply will go back to vet and see what he says :)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
Not all Kennel cough is bacteria related. There is a viral form also. Presently there is a reluctance to use AB unless vital.

But the common Autumn Kennel cough is most likely bacterial.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Why do you need to worm every month? You can have the stool tested for worms and if its negative, there's no need for treatment.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
I would go back to the vet just to be safe but Imwould also be suspicious it's the food. Her symptoms sound like the colitis that my Archie suffered from before I put him on a strict salmon and potato diet. It may be worth trying her on a bland diet (chicken and boiled rice or plain fish and potato) and seeing  if she firms up.