Author Topic: Eating Stones, Leaves, Moss, Paper, Plastic everything arghhh  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Ambler54

Re: Eating Stones, Leaves, Moss, Paper, Plastic everything arghhh
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Rosie eats everything...except Her food.....caused great amusement for the 3 grandsons ( boys love anything even slightly poo related) as Rosies poo contained something bright turquoise, after much inspection ( yes, really) We came to the conclusion it was a pony tail band....

Offline AlanT

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
Fortunately since the "corn-cob" incident mine has been very careful about foraging.

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »
Maisie is nearly 6 months old and eats everything....I swear she searches out the most revolting detritus just for the hell of it.

The other night she outwitted my husband  :005: escaped up the stairs and deposited not one...but two live snails on our bed. Poor hubby then got it in the neck for not closing the stair gate and the bedroom door  ;)    :005: :005:

I have a deal with her though.....she knows that if she ever, ever brings a frog into the house.....she's gone  ;) ;)

Offline hoover

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
Whereas I am not sure I can recommend the following, I am going to relay what we resorted to with Ollie.  He too, ate everything out and about and also had a ferocious guarding response when he happened upon something he wanted to consume, to the extent it was impossible to either lure him away or get anywhere near him to remove him from what could potentially be very dangerous (in Glasgow we have unfortunately had episodes of dog poisoning in parks earlier this year, with meat being laced.  3 dogs died in April in parks we go to with him)

We decided to reinforce a 'leave' response but by laying down food that was deliberately awful tasting.  So we coated bread in lemon, and the hottest sauces and one of us would go further ahead on a walk and put it down for Ollie to find.  When he found it with the other person, they would say 'leave it Ollie', and 'Be careful' in forceful voices, and of course Ollie would leave the bread, as he could smell it was absolutely foul to him, and then we would reward him with a treat when he came to us instead.  We did this enough times that he started paying attention to the 'leave it' command, because it made sense to him to - we were giving him good advice, rather than advice which he didn't want to hear because 'leave it' was usually paired with something that was very desirable to him and tasty.  He began being able to generalise to other things that he wanted to eat because he started trusting our advice on the instruction.  Of course we always picked up the bread afterwards so no other animals could consume it,

So that's what we resorted to because of the deaths of dogs in parks we visited and because his guarding response was simply unmanageable a few months ago.  Like I say I can't say I recommend this as I don't want to be in a position of promoting other dogs feeling ill if they still did eat the hot sauce bread but we felt we needed to do something serious to manage our situation.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »
That's great idea and if its worked then that's even better!! I don't really think it would be that awful if it did make them feel a bit ill  :020:, it would possibly reinforce the training and would certainly be better than death by poisoning!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
Second that, it sounds like a really good idea- may have to give that one a go myself!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
This is a good idea but hard to be sure what they will find "horrible".

After all we have our share of poo eaters on here.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »
A light dusting of hot chilli powder works wonders.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo