Author Topic: A 'what have we done' week!😱😓  (Read 907 times)

Offline Lulabear

A 'what have we done' week!😱😓
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »
Cooper at 19 weeks is gorgeous and cute and just being a puppy but we'd forgotten how all consuming this was and its felt like a difficult week!
From mad energy bursts particularly at 6 am and in the evening in the lounge when we are trying to relax. Then the perpetual seeking of attention. Following us everywhere. Jumping up. Mouthing and constant nudging of our old angelic lab that we can't even get to cuddle these days because Cooper pushes in or drives her mad til she growls and moves away. Then there's the full time vigilance to ensure he's not chewing something he shouldn't or toileting somewhere...
He doesn't really like his crate but ok for night times or if we need to leave him slep for an hour or chew for 15 mins.
We're also noticing an increased selective hearing thing going on so he's become more distracted (less focuses /obedient)
We feel exhausted from later nights and early mornings on top of ourstressful busy lives, especially my poor husband.
We love him but this is really hard!!!
Any words of wisdom gratefully received...

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: A 'what have we done' week!😱😓
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:35 AM »
First of all, this really is normal at this age and does pass - eventually  :005:!  However Cooper does need to learn that he's not the centre of things all the time and after a certain time in the evening, its your time - for us, the watershed is after his evening meal.  Humphrey used to get too wild, I used to just take him out of the living room and shut the door until he'd calmed down. Practice making him lie on a rug, (there are videos on youtube using treat and clicker) - a rug rather than his bed is useful as you can take it with you if you go anywhere. 10 minutes mental stimilation is worth an hour racing around to tire them out a bit. Hiding treats and toys and then sending him to look for them will have him flat out after about 15 minutes. If you can get him to sit and stay while you go off and hide something, you'll be training at the same time. You can reward for finding initially, to just to get him started but after that finding whatever it is, is a reward in itself, - you can play with whatever he's found. Its important that you decide when the games are over, not Cooper, and BEFORE he gets tired of it. There are lots of things you can try - put 5 upturned beakers on the floor with a treat under one and let him find it...... With winter coming,its good to have a few indoor activities up your sleeve!!
If you can, try and set up a bit of a routine, so that he knows there are playtimes and rest times and he will eventually learn not to pester you. It does get better honestly, but they do go through a few frustrating phases, you just have to try and keep calm, consistant, and carry on!!  ;)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »
Oh bless!  :bigarmhug:

I think if you look you will find similar posts from most of us when ours are around that age.  >:D

Great advice from bizzylizzy,  I did and still do lots of brain training with Reese, as found he had far more energy than his age related walking time allowed. He loves hide and seek, I put a treat in the little puppy kong he had, make him sit and wait. I built up making it quite easy to find at 1st but now can hide anywhere in house or garden and he doesn't stop until it's found , which sometimes can be a while!   :005:

At that age though it's also making sure they get enough rest, I used to find Reese would get more mouthy and a bit mad really, when he was actually tired and needed a nap.

It was quite easy for me to establish a routine as it's just me with him, but routines are good.!

He goes to my mums when I am at work and we had quite a few problems with her dog. She hated him for about 3 months and would growl as soon as he went close, but now they are best friends.

As for the constant monitoring, well I am still doing that.  I have made home and garden as puppy proof as possible, however I have taught leave it and give it which has helped my stress levels a lot.

Hang in there, it does get easier!   :D

Tracy & Reese

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
I know exactly what it feels like. Almost 8 months and the what have we done weeks have eased off to what have we done days. The brain training advice is very good and stuff that I do with Charlie. Boundaries, and structure over and over, always reminding them in a way they understand. show then what you expect of them and make sure you are consistent at all times.
And remember things will get easier.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »
Brilliant advice above. We've ALL had those weeks. Routine is essential. Teaching 'go to your mat' was a life saver for me, especially in the evenings when I was trying to cook and Henry was demanding attention by hanging off my leg. Routine also really helped. Henry used to have a 45 minute nap in his crate early evening EVERY DAY and the difference it made to his behaviour in the evenings was remarkable. He never voluntarily went for a nap so I established a routine for the whole day and taught 'go to your bed'. He'd usually be out like a light within seconds.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
Lulabear, this is completely normal.

I read every book, spoke to as many Cocker owners, Breeders and attended a Cocker Show and all said they could be difficult, so I was expecting a bit of a bumpy ride.

I then got Bea and she was a little  >:D , trust me she was not in any book that I had read.

As all have said, Routine and rest are key as they are like Two year old toddlers and don't know what is best for them, that's our job.

I cannot tell you how worth it, it all was as Bea is every bit the dog I longed for  :luv:

Hang on in there!

Sharon.

Offline Lulabear

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks to you all! Sometimes one should needs a little "there there"!