Author Topic: will Gabby pass her drive to her pups  (Read 3245 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

will Gabby pass her drive to her pups
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
Hi ,Gabby is three and is very very fast and obedient.I do dog agility with her and I haven't seen any dog get close to her speed at any show we have been to.She also runs in smalls,but gets times faster than all the collies in large.
There is another very fast working cocker down south that is an agility champion at three years old run by a well known handler and she has the same farther as gabby by a different bitch.
Also this years champion cocker gundog is also by Gabbys farther by another bitch,so to me it seems that Gabbys farther is passing down geans that produce very fast high dive but biddable dogs,and I have been very lucky to chose one.

My question is,could Gabby pass these geans on to her pups,or are they geans that would just be passed down by the male line or something like that.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: will Gabby pass her drive to her pups
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
I would always go for a pup with a proven dam before a pup with a proven sire or better still a pup from parents that were both proven.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
I'd also go by the bitch rather than sire.  You may find that the dams of both the agility and ft champions were proven in their fields and it may be their line that's contributing as much (if not more so even) than the sire's.  Who is the sire and the bitch names if you have them?  And your dog's KC name (if you're happy to share).  Am fascinated by pedigrees and lines, and it would be really interesting to see who they are and what's in the mix. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Is your dog's sire Orgest Yfwr?  If so, yes he has sired some fantastic working/ trialling dogs.  But the dams of the dogs you're referring to (if I have the correct sire) have produced trial winning and champion dogs in other litters with different sires.  (Have a look on MYKC).  So the dams have had influence as well.  not sure whether that answers your question, but yes, the dam can pass on decent genes as much as the sire.  and some believe the dam has more influence than the sire.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »
Always a risk with genetics. On the dam's side I have a line of beautiful singers. My sister and I both have the sire's tonelessness and lack of rhythm.  ;)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
 Thanks.I am thinking about getting another pup and as Gabby is three and due in season soon,why not let her have a litter. Have always wanted to do this and for Gabby its probably now or never.I think Gabby is a lovely little dog and I would be more than happy if I got a pup from her that had her drive and other qualities.

On the other hand I could look for a litter of pups from her farther,there are probably a few about,but then when I chose Gabby
I did look at the dam side,and got lucky.

Yes Gabby is by Orgest Yfwr out of Mallowdale Scent,who has Druid on both sides.Gabbys KC name is Centurion Girl.Was thinking about putting her to Moelfamau Griffin but sort of looking for a small dog and not sure how big he is.

Haven't done any gundog stuff with her for over a year,then took her out the other day and someone gave me a freshly shot rabbit.Sent her on a 50yrd Blind and she was straight out picked it and brought it straight back,I couldn't believe it.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
Not seen Griffin (aside from pics) but the couple of dogs I've seen by him have been little speedy things...   (Although with the mallowdale side, there's no guarantee there won't be some leggier ones as a result).  Good luck with whatever you decide.