Author Topic: What raw bones are safe?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline princeypot

What raw bones are safe?
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Princey is 14wks old.
Could someone advise as to which raw bones are safe for hm to have?
They're not his main diet as I give him complete raw mix for his meals.

thank you

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: What raw bones are safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
I give Humphrey raw chicken wings and chicken necks (legs are apparantly a bit hard and can splinter). I also started him on cows' tails this week, as I read that they don't splinter, he doesn't eat them all in one go though, - they tend to get "deposited" somewhere ( :005:), but they're a nice size and aren't too messy
Haven't tried anything else yet, - I'm a bit over cautious after a nasty experience years ago where I gave my GSD a bone that obviously wasn't suitable, but I'm sure you'll get some more tips from people on here.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:54:44 AM »
Something like chicken wing tips should be ok, Bea always enjoyed a whole chicken wing but she was older and I had to hold on tight to one end to stop her swallowing it whole!

I'm sure someone with more experiance will be along soon.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Chicken wings are a good thing to start with.  You can always bash them with a rolling pin first to break the bones a bit and hold on to the tip so your pup cannot swallow it whole  ;)

Generally weight bearing bones are avoided as they tend to be harder, so wings, chicken/duck or turkey necks, pork or lamb ribs, chicken carcasses etc are best to use if you can.  Depends on the dog though as some are gulpers and some will be sensible and chomp the bones up properly. 
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:46:57 PM »
Is pork ok Joules? Here in Germany at least, we're always being told that anything (raw)  from a pig, even meat deemed for human consumtion, should not be fed to dogs because  of the risk of Aujesky Virus, which, although harmless for humans, can be fatal for dogs.  Its possible that British pork isn't affected, for whatever reason, but unless you can be 100% sure where it comes from, I wouldn't feed it.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Not sure about Germany, but I am sure the pork in the UK is fine - willing to be proved wrong though.  :-\  Coco has often had pork mince, chunks and ribs and no problems at all.  Not to mention pork offal which is commonly fed in a raw diet.  I do freeze if for a couple of weeks first but plenty of people on my FB rawfeeding group feed it too.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline desthomas

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
The key thing is to start small and hold the bone so the pup learns to chew along the bone rather than hoovering it up. Just be careful to not go too high with bone content at a young age. Also be aware that the welfare of the animal makes a big difference.

The quality of RSPCA chicken wings and the budget ones is stark.

Ribs, necks and wings are all safe for the young uns [emoji2]

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Uk pork is safe, Teal was destroying pork ribs at 16 weeks. When I gave her first one I thought she would just chew the bits of meat off, but she ate the whole thing so quick I panicked and took the last bit from her and was worried sick. but after talking to other raw feeders they put my mind at rest and she still destroying them 4 years later.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »
Both Chaz and Milly act as helpers/ disposal units whenever we're making sausages. The bones from the belly pork disappear very quickly to the sounds of much munching, crunching and nom-noms  :005:

Pork ribs, especially if they haven't been trimmed too closely, are very much welcomed with Milly and Chaz heading off in opposite directions so that the bone may be given their undivided attention  ;)

Even though they've been having raw bones for years, we still like to keep an eye on them while they're crunching away, just in case.

Bob.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
Ahhhhh!! A good old British pork sausage!, Now that IS something I miss!!
 :luv: :luv:

Offline AlanT

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
Pork will sometimes make my dog sick. But he is a bit "fat-intolerant" we think.

I get the big end of Beef calf-bones from my local Farmers market. I hold the end and supervise.

The important thing with is bones is NEVER COOKED. Must be RAW because they go hard and splinter.

Offline mayasmama

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Any non weight bearing raw bones are fine to feed from any species. Beef bones are usually not recommended as they are too big and many dogs break teeth on them. I feed a completely prey model raw diet and my girl has all sorts of chicken and pork bones.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
This is why I supervise the beef bones. I really only allow nibbling the soft bits and the marrow.

I know the farmer who keeps the herd. She runs working Springers.
I don't actually buy Beef from anywhere else to eat myself.

When you've got a Cocker than will let you control a Beef bone you know you have beaten resource guarding.
This was a really big problem for a while.

Now he only resource guards my wife!