Author Topic: Newbie saying hello  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Mumof3

Newbie saying hello
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »

Hi,
I am Stacey (stay at home mum) and my husband is mat (soldier in the British army)
We have 3 children, Bailey 10, Maddison 7 (type one diabetic) and iyla-rose 1.
We are from the south east, not far from Dover.
We are due to pick up our cocker spaniel on the 8th October (has no name yet)
This will be our first cocker, but my aunt has had 3 so have been involved with these.

We are hoping once we have grasped usual training, we can train our cocker to help detect our daughter low/high blood sugars, it will be hard work training but could be a life saver :)

Any hints/tips greatfully received

Offline AlanT

Re: Newbie saying hello
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Very sensitive animals. Need intellectual stimulation as well as exercise.

Try hiding and finding by scent and swimming.

Videos on here of my boy Archie doing this. Almost no training required.

Do not chastise, tick-off, isolate etc just reward what they do right and ignore anything else.

V smart, soon catch on.

House train easily. I never had a poo indoors! Plenty of sick though. Stomach troubles are common.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
Hi Stacey welcome to COL, a place a dedication to all things cocker and more besides. My advice is do not be afraid to ask if you are having a problem as there is always someone on here who has an answer for you.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Hi and welcome to you.
look forward to " no names" journey from mental pup to life saver.  This is going to be exciting for us all.
 Your daughter 's guardian angel is so gorgeous  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline AlanT

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
To train easily you need to generate the cue, they have to look for, at your will.

Does a diabetic about to have an attack smell different? Or tremble? What is the dog looking for?

If you can find this out then you need some kind of copy of the cue to work with.

This is why I trained my dog to bark on command and to keep quiet on command as a "pair".

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi and welcome.

You will have your hands full with a young family (more the 1 year old)!  Rather than a crate - do you have room for a puppy pen that you can put food / drink and a covered crate in??  More like this?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-heavy-duty-4-sided-metal-Puppy-Dog-Play-Pen-Run-Whelping-box-playpen-40168-/272267892540?hash=item3f646e573c:g:GX0AAOSwBw5XQx3H

It might help keep bitey puppy who gets very tired very quickly away from little hands and feet!