Author Topic: Our new rescue dog is very reactive to any noises. How do I stop the barking?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline AlanT

Re: Our new rescue dog is very reactive to any noises. How do I stop the barking?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
I've posted here a lot about training "calm" and "speak" as a pair.

When you can ask for barking then you can also ask for it to stop.

I train this every day usually about half-way on a walk. We have a barking session, then stop. Usually go round the loop half a dozen times.

At 5am the milkman comes. Barking starts. I leave it half a minute and ask for "calm". This works. We all go back to sleep.

It's useful to be able to ask for barking. Rowdy  youths approaching, lets have some barking.
Mine sounds like a really big dog. Got a deep chest. Great!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Our new rescue dog is very reactive to any noises. How do I stop the barking?
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
I've trained the 'speak quiet' pair but need to practice it more. At the moment it works in training but not generally.

They do have deep booming barks for such little dogs, don't they? I can recognise a Cocker bark well before I see the dog!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 01:49:18 PM »
Dylan howls if he discovers he is in the house and we are in the garden. He sits on my bed and does it. My five scotties and I would have a howling session every day, sitting in a circle, it was lovely  :011: :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo