Author Topic: Unsettled behaviour. What's it all about?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Unsettled behaviour. What's it all about?
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
Henry has been very unsettled this week, being almost puppy-like in his demands for my attention and unable to amuse himself. Barking at me for attention a lot.  Today he nipped my leg, something he hasn't done for about six months! He's either glued to my side, bouncing off the walls or sitting in the garden ignoring me. He's normally much more chilled than this, happy to pootle about and sleep at my feet if I'm working.

Now there are three things that are different this week at home, and I'm wondering if fellow COLers think any of these are contributing:

The big thing is that my daughter left for Uni last weekend. She's been contstantly around the house for the past three months and has been Henry's playmate and cuddle buddy. Henry is used to not seeing certain members of the family for days at a time - I'm the only person who he is guaranteed to see every day. So I'm not sure if he is missing her. Or if he is picking up on my emotions, as I AM missing her terribly.

We put Henry into kennels at the weekend to take my daughter to Uni. He's been before and has always come home just the same Henry as ever. There were a lot of young dogs there this weekend so lots of running around in fields with other bonkers dogs. So maybe he's just finding home a bit boring.

The third thing is that I changed his food this week from Burns to Millie's. I wanted to wait a few weeks until he was more settled after the kennels, but he was flat out refusing to eat the Burns so I decided to go ahead. I'm wondered whether the high protein is making him a bit loopy.

Sorry for the long post. Thoughts, anyone?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Unsettled behaviour. What's it all about?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
I would say all of the above plus it's the time of year where there is a lot more scent around - even in London he will be picking up more from the ground and if you have any foxes in he neighbourhood its mating season (early this year)!

We have two young loons here as well - one back on a long line and she's 2.5  :shades:  the other one is a bit better but still bogged off at training on Tuesday  :o

I recommended Patp's solution of wine and chocolate.........

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 08:41:06 AM »
Interesting what you say about scents. Henry is all OVER the place when we go out - he nearly pulled me over on the long line the other day when I turned my head and he shot off after something. I didn't think to let go and nearly ended up face down. I've have to had to put him on a regular lead and mostly work on heel walking this week as he can't even behave on the long lead at the moment. We have a LOT of foxes and there is a young fox that visits the garden every night. If Henry spots him he gets hysterical, barking and beating at the door to get out and chase it. And I've heard the foxes mating for the past few nights. I'm sure the garden smells very peculiar to Henry right now.

Reassuring to know he's not the only loon in town. Is it too early for wine? *checks clock*

Offline AlanT

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
Find more work for him to do.

Anywhere you can go swimming?

They need to be busy. Left to lay about, there is always odd behaviour.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Alan - I am keeping him busy. But it's at times he would normally be relaxed that his behaviour has changed. And they are all different. Henry likes quiet time alone as well as being occupied. That's his personality.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Unsettled behaviour. What's it all about
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
They're all big changes really and I'm sure he'll be picking up on your emotions aswell, - if you're anything like I was when my youngest left for uni, you'll be feeling pretty restless aswell I expect!
And I'm sure the sounds of those foxes having a lot of "fun", 😳 at night is probably not helping. :005: :005: Poor Henry!!
 ;)