Author Topic: Peeing on the sofa and cushions!  (Read 475 times)

Offline Curlylocks

Peeing on the sofa and cushions!
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
Hi, does anyone have any experience of training their cocker to STOP peeing on the sofa?

Our 2-year-old working cocker was totally house trained, but after being kept in the animal hospital for 5 days in May (for surgery to a bad leg fracture), followed by a long period of crate rest at home, she has got into the habit of peeing on fabric, especially the sofa, cushions and her bed. She is now fully mobile and has plenty of access to the garden, and she doesn't seem to have a problem holding it in (eg she never pees on the floor)... it's just that she's decided it's OK to pee on fabric now! Really don't know what to do. The problem is that to re-train her we'd need to "catch her in the act" at the precise moment of her peeing (which is easy when they pee on the floor) – but we don't find out until it's too late!!

Has anyone come across a blanket or anything that will alert you when it's been wet?! Or have any other ideas! It's driving us nuts!!

Thanks!

Offline AlanT

Re: Peeing on the sofa and cushions!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
Back to basics. Outside every hour and hang about until you get a result. Then treat. Use something with a high value. Try Liver-cake. They really go for this usually.

Not allowed in "best-rooms" until performing outside.

Offline Suzie Q

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
I remember my cousin having a child who still wet the bed aged 10, she had something she put under the sheet that sounded an alarm when it detected moisture, I imagine it still exists?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »
The problem is, its probably the same as with puppies, in that she'll wee where she's weed before, so you're going to have the get rid of the scent on the sofa and cushions (you can buy a spray that neutralizes the smell) and then I'd try and make them no go areas until she's stopped otherwise it'll be a vicious circle, I agree with Alan and would go back to basics and start as if she was a puppy.
Best of luck!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
Bed wetting alarms that slip under a sheet are available but seem very pricey, Amazon has them. I just saw one on ebay very cheap.
Personally I would go back to basics as advised. Just keep getting up through the night and taking her out so that she doesn't physically need to go.You'll just have to keep doing this until she breaks the habit of going in her bed. Don't chastise her, its not her fault, its just sounds like its become a habit.

Offline hoover

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but I take it she still does also pee normally when outside, managing to squat ok and everything?  It would just be if she was only peeing indoors and not going into a squatting position but instead relieving herself when lying down that it might be the case that the previous injury is making a squatting position uncomfortable to hold or something?  Probably not, but just thought would check she still pees outside ok.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
Agree with everybody else, until then, if you cant keep her out of the room - plastic wrap on cushions and throws that can be put in the washing machine.