Author Topic: first grooming - what to ask for?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
first grooming - what to ask for?
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Blue has recently taken on the appearance of a baby woolly mammoth.  At 6 months old, he is not ready for a hand stripping, but despite my best efforts with the comb and rubber band, and daily brushing, he is getting a few little lugs where his harness rubs, and great big hairy feet & ears, he really needs a tidy up.  What should I ask for at the groomers?  I don't want him clipped, he has beautiful roaning and soft, feathery fur, but it is curly and out of control!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: first grooming - what to ask for?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »
I am not much help as I have the same problem with Reese. His fur isn't ready to be stripped yet and I don't want him clipped.
My groomer has just been tidying him up really so he looks a neat woolly mammoth. People do think he must be a cross to have fur like this. Lol

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
Thanks, does your groomer trim him with scissors?

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
Yes she does. She uses the scissors to trim his feet and she has used scissors to tidy him up a bit everywhere else, but still left him long. I was worried about this and posted about it last time, but it does seems fine.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Thank you!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
Dose the Groomer your thinking of going to do Hand Stripping?

If so then I'm sure they would know what to do for the best, Bea is clipped and was always going to be but for her first visit it was more about getting used to being their, being handled by someone new and having her feet and ears trimmed (scissor's), O and having a bath :005: :005:

I spent a long time talking to her Groomer who asked me loads of questions, dose she have any sore points, injuries or health issues, what do you want her to look like and I have to say she went in a Bear Cub and came out a Show Cocker.  :luv: :luv: :luv:

The right Groomer is key and recommendations are best.

Sharon

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
Yes, the groomer I plan to use does do hand stripping, so I suppose she will know what to do with my little woolly sheep!  I intend to get him hand stripped once he is ready, but we are a way off that yet, I think.  I just wondered what to ask for when I book him in this time.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »
I think it's more about building the relationship between the Groomer and Blue, they will be spending a lot of time together over the comming years.

It's best to make sure they know how you want him to look in the future and they will help you get him there.

Sharon.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
Clip away. The coat will recover fine.