Author Topic: Discharge from nose  (Read 4997 times)

Offline daw

Re: Discharge from nose
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
If you don't mind my asking why are you having this treatment? Kennel cough is a self-limiting infection like the common cold. The vaccine is a 'modified live' so can often give symptoms in a previously healthy dog. Since it also mutates like crazy there's no guarantee your dog won't get another type anyway. Even worse, dogs given the vaccine can shed it for some time later- to other dogs.

As dogs age there's a lot of good science that suggests no vaccination is best. Please understand I'm not being judgemental with you as an owner- because I'm in the position of having to have my middle-aged dog vaccinated so if we have to (in an emergency) he can go into our local kennels. But I know it's bad for him and have tried to reason it out. They have their rules and so it goes...

Either your poor boy could be getting a dose of the infection each time- or could be reacting to carriers in the vaccine (aluminium for one). Unless you are in a position of being forced into it, I'd stop vaccination from now on.   

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you say, and I was hoping that he didn't have to have the kennel cough vaccine anymore, but the kennels refuse ( we had a few strong words) to accept him without it. We try to take James with us as much as possible, but as the son-in-law is very allergic to dogs..... (and cats!) >:D Still, as long as we don't get the green & yellow again!!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
Interesting thread.  Martha just had the kennel cough 'up the nose' job along with her 2nd vaccinations last week.
The vet explained that mild effects were possible and also that it doesn't cover all the potential variations but on the whole its recommended. She had no reaction other than a sneeze or 2 immediately after.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
Our vet will not vaccinate and give kennel cough  at the same time.
 I do not like my girls having the kennel cough jabby because of  side effects  but there are not many kennels that take dogs without it
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »
Thankfully I do know a couple of kennels here that will take dogs without KC vax, as I also know my vet is often quite reluctant to use the KC vax

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!