Author Topic: Keeping puppy off sofa  (Read 1193 times)

Offline barney165

Keeping puppy off sofa
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
Hello

We have a 15 week old working cocker who is generally doing really well. We would however like to train him to stay off the sofa, unless we "ask" him to come up.
He can follow a sit and "come up" command but in an excitable mood will jump up by himself, or when visitors arrive as the sofa by our front door.
We've been trying "off" with a treat reward for two or three weeks but this only works with a treat!  He doesn't seem to have linked the word with the action yet.
Any tips please? 
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Keeping puppy off sofa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
The best thing to do is to stop him before he jumps up. Block him by placing yourself between him and the sofa or use a lead if you need to. Like when visitors are coming and you know he gets excited you can put a lead on him to stop him from jumping on the sofa.

If he doesn't obey without a treat then he does not know the command well enough, so keep training and in the meantime don't use it unless you know he is going to listen. In the beginning you give him a treat for every single successful repetition. But then once he starts to understand you should phase out the treats gradually, so for some repetitions you just praise, other times you give a treat. Don't be too predictable.

Unless he has any issues then you can actually physically remove him from the sofa. The best thing is if you can block him before he jumps up. But if he jumps up then lift him gently but firmly down. Do not give any attention, just put him back on the floor. This will need repeating, cockers are forgetfull and need many repetitions before they can be trusted :)

It may be easier for him if the sofa is off limits always. But it should be possible to teach him to wait for an invitation. I would train by having him sit and wait every time before he gets the command to jump up. Make him wait shorter and longer periods, but always make him sit and wait for the invitation. Some people use a blanket to indicate that the dog is allowed up. No blanket means not allowed. The most important part is to be consistent and clear.

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
Beware of the OFF command for a reward.  It could well be construed in Cocker-logic to mean that the reward is for jumping off the sofa..... so in order to get that reward Cocker the first step is to get onto the sofa.  No OFF = No reward.

Maybe the Cocker is training you?  :-)
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »
Beware of the OFF command for a reward.  It could well be construed in Cocker-logic to mean that the reward is for jumping off the sofa..... so in order to get that reward Cocker the first step is to get onto the sofa.  No OFF = No reward.

Maybe the Cocker is training you?  :-)

They're clever little wotsits - I used to "swap" things Humphrey had pinched and wouldn't give back, for treats, but it didn't take long before he pinching things and bringing them to me for rewards. He keeps wanting to go out into the garden aswell now because he knows if he refuses to come back in, I end up shouting "Biscuit" ! They're always one step ahead!!  :005:

Offline barney165

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »
Yes I had been wondering if this was the massage he's getting! Will try blocking him (he responds well to a sharp "ah!") and lead ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
Never underestimate how clever a cocker is around food and treats  :005:  My girl figured out that hitting the water bowl with her paw when it's empty makes me drop everything and run to fill it up (feeling guilty for having let it get empty). One time she hit the bowl when I was eating dinner in front of the tv. I put the food on the low coffee table and ran to fill the bowl. But it was already full of fresh water. Confused, I went back and found a burping cocker and an empty plate! She lured me away so she could steal my food! I was outsmarted by a dog   :lol2:  :doh:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
Never underestimate how clever a cocker is around food and treats  :005:  My girl figured out that hitting the water bowl with her paw when it's empty makes me drop everything and run to fill it up (feeling guilty for having let it get empty). One time she hit the bowl when I was eating dinner in front of the tv. I put the food on the low coffee table and ran to fill the bowl. But it was already full of fresh water. Confused, I went back and found a burping cocker and an empty plate! She lured me away so she could steal my food! I was outsmarted by a dog   :lol2:  :doh:

:banana: :banana:  :005:

Offline tenaille

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
 :005: :luv: