Author Topic: Feeding raw in France  (Read 1183 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Feeding raw in France
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
We're going on holiday to France in June and I just wondered if anyone can recommend any brand of raw mixes which I could look for (I know a few of you live there). I usually DIY it at home but while we were in GB last week, I bought Natural Instinct for convenience which was really good. Would be grateful  for any tips! thanks!

Offline tenaille

Re: Feeding raw in France
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:58:55 PM »
sorry, can't help you with that. We have always used a mix of kibble and wet which we buy online in the UK and take it out with us.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:26:07 AM »
Ok, thanks! If push comes to shove, I can take tins but he does so well on raw......( I'm currently trying to brush up on my schoolgirl French, but with a 50 year gap, I'm struggeling!! :005: )

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »
Whereabouts are you visiting?  We live in the Dordogne.  There are no brands here of pre-packaged stuff like Nutriment or Natural Instinct but the supermarkets sell "viande pour animaux" which is off-cuts of meat.  You can find it in the chilled meat section.  It varies in price though from about 1.99 euro a kilo to 3.50 a kilo depending on which supermarket you use.  We also buy "abats".  The French are generally keen on offal so supermarkets usually sell kidneys, liver, hearts etc pre-packed.  Our local Intermarche usually has at least one of them on special offer, so we stock up when they're a good price, anything from 1 euro a kilo up.  You can buy chicken wings fairly cheaply too.

Also, if you are buying things for youself at a butcher's, you can ask for the "dechets".  Our butcher will empty the contents of his meat waste bin into a bag for us.  it takes a bit of sorting though to remove string and any particularly fatty bits but as it is free!

I'm afraid DIY is the only way to do it here though.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
That's absolutely great - thankyou!!  we're going to Pierrevert, in the Provence. I was thinking I could get stuff from the supermarket to DIY it but didn't know what to look or ask for. That's just the information I was looking for!! 👍

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
Kidneys- rognons
heart- coeur
liver - foie
chicken wings -ailes de poulet

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne