Author Topic: Advice please - moulting  (Read 1570 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Advice please - moulting
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
The big day's approaching, this time next week we'll be on the road to UK and Humph'll be making his debut appearance to the family. He went to the groomer last week to tidy him up a bit but now, for the last few days he's moulting like mad, (which, as we're staying with relatives doesn't exactly put us in the best behaved guest catagory!).
I've tried combing him with the elastic band round the comb which does get some out but seems to make the coat very static and I also have the feeling it breaks the hair. He's not very cooperative with a brush - I've got a fine metal slicker brush but that doesn't seem to take much out anyway.
These fine loose hairs make his coat look really unkempt and a two minute cuddle leaves me absolutely covered! Is this puppy coat loss? "normal" seasonal moult ? or could it have anything to do with the tick collar he's been wearing for a week?  Any advice would be welcome, I'm a bit confused! THanks! ;)

Offline lescef

Re: Advice please - moulting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
How old is he now?
 Has all his puppy coat come out?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »
Just coming up to 11 months - but to be honest, and this does sound a bit stupid, but how do I identify what's puppy coat and what's normal? Hair on his back is coarser and wavy now, and there not so much loss there so I'm guessing thats the mature coat, the rest - on head and tummy is very fine. His coat was quite poor just after Christmas so I changed him to raw food a couple of months ago and since then he's looked really beautiful, which is why I'm a bit disappointed that its suddenly starting fall again. How long would a seasonal moult take and is there anything I should be doing?

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
It does sound like it could be the rest of his puppy coat coming out, but I'm not an expert. It does tend to be soft and fluffy. Will it pull out?
Some cockers, like Maddie have straight course hair,  but Bramble's is very soft and fluffy and knots more easily.
I'm sure others will have some advice. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »
Thanks!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
Does sound like it could be coat that's ready to come out. The comb with elastic band will not break the coat if it's coat that is ready to strip out. Do you have any pics of what you mean. Puppy coat will often be fluffier and less sleek and silky than the adult coat. It can take some time to get all the puppy coat out and stripping generally is continues through their lives if this is the grooming type you have chosen.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline daw

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »
Ah, tis the season of The Great Moult: when a women's thoughts turn to a new vacuum cleaner. >:(

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
If it's lighter in colour, more like cotton wool and very fine then it probably is the puppy coat - Coral lost hers.......all over the house.......at much the same age  :005:  Pearl was a little younger but she's a show type and also had her season 4 months earlier than Coral - I suspect she developed more quickly!

Mars Coatking - 20 blade medium will help, a lot, or you could wear a rubber glove and gently tease the loose fur out - great excuse to bond with Humprey at the same time  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:57:48 PM »
Thanks everyone - by the sounds of it, it is indeed probably just the puppy hair,,so hopefully, there will be an end to it at some point! Thanks for the help!,

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
If it's lighter in colour, more like cotton wool and very fine then it probably is the puppy coat - Coral lost hers.......all over the house.......at much the same age  :005:  Pearl was a little younger but she's a show type and also had her season 4 months earlier than Coral - I suspect she developed more quickly!

Mars Coatking - 20 blade medium will help, a lot, or you could wear a rubber glove and gently tease the loose fur out - great excuse to bond with Humprey at the same time  :luv:

Is this the one? It doesn't say medium, but it is 20-blade. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mars-20-Blade-Coat-King-Rake/dp/B00B596HPW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461787821&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=mars+king+coat+20-blade+medium#productDetails

I found dog hair floating at the top of a pan of pasta I was cooking tonight.   :o
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)