Author Topic: trimming nails  (Read 986 times)

Offline lilliegez

trimming nails
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
hi could anyone recommend some good nail clippers that are sharp and easy to use.  never cut my dogs nails before but she is frightened of strangers doing it so I am gonna attempt it but must say im am really worried.  she has a habit of jumping when I attempt to try anything of this sort.  any tips would be great and any videos that might help.  thanks.

Offline PollySpaull

Re: trimming nails
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
Can't recommend clippers as montys groomer does his, but I find the best way to distract him is to smear peanut butter on the fridge/dishwasher. It takes him ages to see if he's managed to get it all, that I'm able to look at his feet/cut mats out of his ears etc. Hope that might help a little!

Offline AlfiesMummy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 01:39:14 AM »
I've had a right time with Alfie as he hates his nails being cut.  Saw online about filing them with a dremel.  I've just tried this on Alfie and it was a breeze.  He just lay on his back as calm as anything having a manicure.  I can't believe after 3 yrs of having a battle, I wish I had found out about filing them beforehand.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
I've had a right time with Alfie as he hates his nails being cut.  Saw online about filing them with a dremel.  I've just tried this on Alfie and it was a breeze.  He just lay on his back as calm as anything having a manicure.  I can't believe after 3 yrs of having a battle, I wish I had found out about filing them beforehand.

A nail grinder/file is definitely the way to go if you have a dog who is worried about having their nails clipped - so much safer than nail clippers and most dogs tolerate them really well. As well as Dremel, Wahl & Oster make their own versions now so plenty of choice available (although more expensive than manual nail clippers)
Jane