Author Topic: Mixers  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Ambler54

Mixers
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
The on going saga of Rosie.
So dry kibble hated, mixing it with all sorts to get Rosie to eat it, results runny poos, unhappy dog.Now slowly, very very slowly switching to wet food, Natures Harvest, poos improving slightly but Rosie loving the food.So reducing the Kibble increasing the wet food but She is hungry so possibly need a mixer, any suggestions.Also liking the sound of Forthglade, but quite a heated discussion in a pet shop about switching foods, ie if Dog wont eat it will eventually, remove food , try again will eat if its hungry, ggggrrrrh.....stick with kibble etc etc ....... Had all sorts of discussions in the shop as I had tried a high protein kibble at their suggestion, Rosie liked it but was like a puppy on speed, dont think they believed me(!) SO not going there again .
So the question is, is it ok to try another wet food ie Forthglade, is it too high in protein? And what about a mixer? Burns do a wheat free, but on Burns kibble She scratched for England ( again according to the pet shop highly unlikely obviously a figment of our imagination).Tonight dished up Wainwrights kibble( tiny amount weaning off) Natures Menu wet and cooked broccoli and carrot, Rosie squealing with delight, one happy mummy.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Mixers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
It's amazing how many experts are out there when it comes to your dog >:(

Every dog is different and it's not always easy to find the right food , as you can see it's trial and error.

I went through all top quality wet foods with Bea, not interested, so tried all top quality Kibble again she was not interested.

I use veg to in Bea's food, it will bulk Rosie's food out for her and give her more nutrients.

You could try Natures Menu vegetable nuggets as it's a good mix.

Hope you find the right mix for her soon.

Sharon. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
If you are feeding Nature's Harvest, look on their website, they do a mixer and if you phone or contact them they will send you a free sample. (probably of some of their foods too, if you ask for their feeding advice  ;) )

http://judgeschoice.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_59&product_id=388

Same with Forthglade, phone them up or email, these folk are usually quite happy to send samples to prospective customers ;)

I found with the Burns mixer it was 90% or more rice and as they are having Naturediet (another  wet food) which also contains rice, I felt the rice in the mixer was overtaking the meat content.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline daw

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »
Veg is great to bulk out wet food- certainly wouldn't go down any route that lowered protein. And grains which are the fillers in so many brands are not really a natural canine food. Mine always have done best with no grain or virtually none, and just protein and veg. If the dog is hungry just up the veg, adding raw or cooked carrot, swede, cabbage etc. Not potato or only a small quantity and always cooked. Cooked but never raw beans.

Maybe the pet food seller isn't always the expert. After all the probably stock good stuff, middling and rubbish! They're guided by the market.
Hope you can get your youngster onto something that suits that she really likes. It's all trial and error.  ;) 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
Personally I think you'd be fine to try forthglade. It's very good food. There are two types though. One is complete and the other requires a mixer so it's worth checking exactly which you are buying. I feed wainwrights wet trays with no mixer or added veggies, but to be honest I find all the tray varieties of food - forthglade, wainwrights nature's harvest etc. are VERY similar. I have given all of them to Archie in the past just to give him something different to try. They do seem to really love this food and Archie will often try to convince me that he's starving hungry. I go by his (not insignificant  :shades:) girth rather than by what he tries to tell me.  ;)

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:47:09 AM »
Totally agree with its.me, and wholly sympathise with your problem, just keep at it and you'll get there. Good luck.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »
I had to stop feeding any grain with my sprinters health issue, it is much better to use veg, as the others have said. CookedSweet potatoes are perfect for extra calories, or use potatoes, broccoli, green beans.   Once you start mixing your own dog food, the sky's the limit.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
Thats brilliant, thank you all so much. Rosie loves Her wet food, will just add veg.Gave Her wet food last night with broccoli, peas and carrots and She was doing little squeals of delight as She was eating it, but after talking to the ' expert' wasnt sure I was doing the right thing.....