Author Topic: Not eating  (Read 1168 times)

Offline esme1717

Not eating
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
Ziggy (nearly 1 1/2 years) has suddeny gone off is kibble (canagan), have tried mixing with water and tried a different kibble but still not eating very much.  I have even tried mixing with chicken and he eats the chicken and spits out the kibble.  Does anyone have any ideas, shall i just persist with the kibble and taking it away after not eating in 15 minutes?  Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Offline daw

Re: Not eating
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:18:58 AM »
I think most dogs can just go-off their kibble! Often a lot sooner than this. I think in a young dog that needs his nourishment (he's building the dog you're going to have and love for the next 12 years or more if lucky) it's more important that he eats well than engaging in a battle of wills. Food for a dogs is one of the big events in the day- why not let it be an enjoyable one? I did switch to different foods and added stuff for my fussy eater- but in the end I realised he just preferred wet feeding to dry and I went onto raw anyway. He loved it and benefited in numerous other ways. If you don't want to commit to raw I'd try to find some brand he likes (even if its tins of Chappie which my vet swears by) and add meat and fish and cooked veg as well. Some commercial food is better than others and you'll find lots of comparison sites by Googling. But mainly get him to eat while he's a youngster- his bones and teeth and muscles will last him a lifetime then. (Oh and the other really great thing is that I love feeding a dog something he really enjoys! I bet I get as much of a buzz out of it as he does.)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
If you cannot face raw how about trying something like Naturediet or Forthglade, these are wet foods & there are loads to choose from and my dogs enjoy wet food (currently on Naturediet) so much more than kibble, always have.

As Daw says, make mealtimes enjoyable for both of you - not a battle.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline esme1717

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
Thanks, I will give wet or raw a try.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
Henry has gone off his Kibble too. He has been on Burns Puppy for a couple of months and I was so happy to finally have pick-up-able poo! His poo is still great and his coat is lovely and glossy, but for the past two weeks I've really had to tempt him to eat. Even hand feeding doesn't work -.he just spits it out.

He had horrible poo on Butchers tinned puppy food (which he came from the breeder on) so I'm worried about going back to wet food, but I want Henry to go back to enjoying his food. Oh, and I have about 10kg of kibble left! Although he might enjoy it as a mixer or treat, I suppose.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
I think that dogs sometimes get bored with a particular kibble. A kind of canine ennui sets in.

I see that you are feeding Canagans. They do tins as well. Buster is currently on a mix of kibble and tinned meat which he seems happy with (for now!) You might want to try that. Mix the kibble well in with the meat so he can't pick and choose.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
Kibble thoroughly mixed in with Naturediet. Am standing here watching the little so-and-so spit out the kibble as he goes along.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
We're on oust big bag of Barking Heads puppy now. I've been adding cooked veg, and I also bought some cans of Evolution, which looks really good with ingredients, and has two flavours for pups. It,s fairly soft, so a little of it stirred into the kibble coats it all very well, and Dylan is enjoying it. He's 11 months now, so thinking about which adult to move him onto. Because we are away a lot I. Our van Iwant something easily available, I have been looking at the Wainwrights grain free which gets good reviews on all about dog food website.

I'd love to try raw feeding but it would 't be practical when we are on the road.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo