Author Topic: Rather puzzled & concerned  (Read 959 times)

Offline woodlander

Rather puzzled & concerned
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »
Sweep is 8 now and generally speaking enjoys pretty good health.
We returned from holiday last week and picked Sweep up from kennels (one we have used since she was a puppy - so no different).
However ever since we got back she has been drinking and eating a lot more than usual.  She is also panting quite a lot - which is unusual for her.  She is also quite restless and takes ages to settle in the evening.  She has a bit of an upset tummy with some runny poos (but we have had worse) at the moment and as I type this is having a wander around the garden.  She does seem bright in herself.
Is this just due to a change in routine do you think or should we be thinking about going to the vet for a little check over?
I know panting is a sign that all is not right - pain, stress etc.  Any thoughts much appreciated.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Rather puzzled & concerned
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »
It may just be settling down after some time away from you. If you are concerned may be worth a vet trip, or if she gets no worse, give her a couple of days or so and see if she settles again.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
I would speak to the vets particularly if they're drinking more and its gone a week

It may actually be nothing to do with having been in kennels and a coincidence
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »
I would get her checked at a vet, I would say she has an infection somewhere, maybe urine?

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
I would get her checked at a vet, I would say she has an infection somewhere, maybe urine?

I thought exactly the same! Do let the vet see her. She might be in real discomfort.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »

I thought exactly the same! Do let the vet see her. She might be in real discomfort.

I would definitely take her to the vet. Maybe get a urine sample to take with you  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline woodlander

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  Whilst she does seem to be more relaxed today I think we will get her checked over to be on the safe side.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »
I find gut instinct is always best listened to, if you have a little nagging voice in your head it could be quickly eased by a trip to the vets.

Hope sweep is better soon.

Sharon.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:52:38 AM »
So we visited the vet yesterday and took a sample with us.  Nothing untoward in urine sample which is good news.
The vet gave her a thorough examination and could only find quite a slow heart beat.  So we are having some blood tests done at the moment and we await the results with interest.  She did mention possible thyroid issues but we will wait & see before I go berserk on Google trying to find out more about it 😉
Overall glad we went & no nasty infections etc and we have an 8 year old in pretty good shape.  ❤️

Offline daw

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
Excellent- hope she continues to improve.