Author Topic: Vomiting  (Read 1012 times)

Offline James+Carly

Vomiting
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
We have had Oscar since he was 12 weeks old, he is now 6 and half months and a very lovely mischievous puppy. He suffered with a high temperature a couple of weeks ago and became really lethargic. Took Oscar to the vet and they said he looked fine, he is eating normally, toilet is normal, apart from high temperate. The next day, he started to sound like he was regurgitating - but nothing came up, took him back to the vet and they gave me a shot to bring down his temperature. Took him a good week to get over his high temperature, but they are not sure what cause it. This morning i came down to him howling, so let him out of his crate and he ran straight for the back door (normally he will have a cuddle) i let him out, he stumbled around the garden, collapsed on the grass whilst making this regurgitating sound and then vomited up this yellow bile looking stuff. After that he was completely fine, bouncing around as normal. Rest of today he has been bit down and not him self. He then vomited up a treat i had given hm a couple of hours ago. Took him to the vet this evening - he has a high temperature again and then gave him a shot to stop the vomiting - the vet said it sounds like gastroenteritis. If he vomits more bring him back. As we walked home, he did the biggest runniest poo I've ever seen. Im hoping he has just eaten something thats not agreed with him, but to see him collapse making these funny noises was so scary as i didn't know what to do.

Anyone else had this? 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
They do sound awful when they retch, my old dog used to eat grass and would retch for ages til he finally brought it back up and the noise was a bit frightening - he did also lie down sometimes, I presume because of stomach cramps (?), I don't think that in itself is anything to worry about. HOwever  I would certainly go back if it doesn't clear up soon  and take samples of vomit and poohs if you can, to help identify the cause. Puppy's do often eat things that don't agree with them and get runny poohs now and again but I would think vomiting and high temperature over more than 24 hours needs to be investigated. Hope Oscar's feeling better soon!  :bigarmhug:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »
I would be asking them to rule out a blockage x puppies have a tendency to eat all sorts

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »
Yes BizzyLizzy - the noise was quite frightening, especially being our first dog it's all a bit new! I'm probably just being over cautious, so I'm hoping he feels better soon, you just always tend to think the worst.

The bet did mention blockage, he said Oscar would potentially look at lot worse if that was the case but it could still be a possibility, especially as he tends to make this coughing/trying to be sick noise for the last 2 weeks or so....

Hopefully it all clears up and I have my bouncy puppy back

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
Poor puppy and poor you. Just a couple of things: whatever it is, make sure he's drinking. Dogs can manage for a few day without much food but they must drink plenty now because he'll be losing a lot of fluid. The other is if it is a blockage watch him like a hawk- the instant you think he's gone 'flat', not taking notice, apathetic and lethargic get to your vet.

Of course it could be just a nasty infection he's having trouble fighting off- in which case he'll gradually improve on bland food and love! Fingers crossed.   

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
When Henry ate something horrid and everything was coming out both ends he really didn't want to drink. However, he loves ice cubes so I kept feeding him those!

Hope your little one feels better soon.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:16 PM »
They can be such a worry, can't they?!
Our first cocker swallowed acorns which became trapped in her stomach and she retched for a couple of weeks until it was diagnosed. But, I don't remember it causing diarrhoea. Hopefully it's a bug and will soon clear.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:22:06 AM »
Hoping yo can solve the mystery and Oscar is feeling better soon  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
What sort of treats are you giving him, it may be that they are to rich for him as some dogs can only tolerate a bland diet. I hope he is over the worse of his upset and as others have said ensure that he has plenty of fresh drinking water as they can soon dehydrate and that can lead to serious problems.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:10 AM »
I would be asking them to rule out a blockage x puppies have a tendency to eat all sorts

This was my first thought also Pat - Pearl was almost exactly the same both times she's had blockages  ph34r.

The first she was very young at 15 weeks and ate a small round of sweet corn cob at a friends BBQ on the Saturday, she was fine until the Tuesday then started with a temperature and was very obviously in pain "passing" broken pieces of the sweetcorn.  She had chewed the ring (c 1 cm) into 5 pieces.....I counted 4 over Tuesday / Wednesday but by the Thursday she was becoming increasingly lethargic and had surgery to remove the last piece which was wrapped in bits of sheepskin rug and twigs........

Roll on 3 years and she found a sweetcorn cob at Pistyll Rhaedyr in North Wales on a walk; that was the Saturday, again she was "unwell" from about the Tuesday - high temp, vomitting bile, able to eat and drink but what came out was pretty unpleasant - and likely to be due to gastritis.

Both times it was under a week for symptoms to start.  The second time I could have left it for longer before taking her to the vets but having been through the first "sweetcorngate" I was very aware of the risks and didn't want to take any chances, especially, as she is likely to have adhesions following surgery that may prevent transit of foreign objects  :shades:

Two weeks ago I had a late night dash to the vets for Coral....who had decided to eat a pair of little nylon shoe liners [those tiny stocking things] I could have chosen to let her try to pass them but instead opted to take her for the injection to bring them back up - which she did in a matter of seconds.  There were two reasons for taking her - one, I know what it's like to have a dog with a blockage  ph34r and two, having read up on the possible effects one of the problems is that the elastic can cause a torsion in the gut - and has very similar symptoms to Oscars - I hope it's not that but did want to mention it in case he's a "sock" theif just as Coral is......

What I would suggest is going back to to the vets and asking about possible gut related issues such as blockages or torsion and see if they can feel anything.

I hope it's nothing more than a viral infection and Oscar is bright and zoomie this morning

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
If it's not some stolen food, or a blockage, I would guess campolybacter. They get feverish before the gut explosion. I'm not a vet, but if you go back to  yours, give them a dollop of poo in a jam jar. The vet nurse may not be too pleased, but they can then get on and check it.  Antibiotics fix it.
Like everyone says, encourage fluids, and feed bland food. Personally I hold back on carbs, because bacteria thrive on them. 
Hope it clears up quickly, these things always hit weekends and bank holidays.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »
So sorry to hear Oscar is poorly again.

I Have to admit I too did think blockage when I read your post. My puppy Maverick was operated on for a blockage last Xmas eve. And he had been sick on and off for a few weeks and the vet initially said there was no blockage as he would be a lot more poorly. It wasn't until he was losing weight fast and became dehydrated that they took him in for X-rays.

I really hope this isn't the case with Oscar but just wanted to make you aware.

On another not you could maybe send off a stool sample to rule out any parasite infections?

Please keep us updated, hope Oscar makes a full recovery soon! Xx
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »
Thank you for all your well wishes (Oscar says thank you too, with lots of sloppy kisses) x

He is doing much better, since his visit to the vets. I will keep an eye on him and listen out for that retching noise incase it is some sort of blockage.

He is definitely a sock thief Pearly, amongst others including pants, t-shirts, trousers, scarves, vests, any type of clothing really! :005: