Author Topic: Puppy walking help  (Read 830 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

Puppy walking help
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
Hi all,

Oscar has been able to walk in the outside world for the past 3-4 weeks but we're having a few issues with him on the lead. Primarily, when we take him out of the house he pretty much immediately resists and wants to come back home. If we do manage to get him a short distance, again, he turns round and then really pulls on the lead as if he's in a hurry to get home. As such, I'm having to drive away from home to take him on walks. He is better when away from home but its still very much short distances and again, he tends to turn back pretty promptly and then forcibly follow his trail back to the car. Any tips on this as its not as enjoyable as it could be at the moment. I'm a bit perplexed as I know how much cockers love their exercise!

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
Re: Puppy walking help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
I spent weeks carrying my young pup away from home.  Don't worry it passes.  I took lots of treats and was lucky my local pet shop was just the right distance for him to go to visit.  I made sure he always had a good experience and fortunately he is over it now, as far too heavy to carry. 

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
We had this problem for months, I persevered, I carried him, I got frustrated. But now a year later, he's perfectly fine  :lol:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »
Same here with my last cocker Dickon. He dug his heels in and wouldn't walk anywhere. He got over it eventually but I was despairing that I would ever be able to take him for a walk without carrying him most of the way. He got over it too - it helped to go for a few walks with my Dad and his dog.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »
My dog's 7.5 months now, and he is still stubborn occasionally. I haven't had to carry him for a few weeks, but sometimes he just doesn't want to go somewhere. It has been very frustrating and he hasn't completely grown out of it, but think he will soon.

Offline Chillis

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
walking was one of the things I just assumed all puppies loved to do & was so confused & frustrated when pepper would just not budge!
It took weeks & we still get the moments now, lots of dropped chicken & allways bring clicker with us now
She is also allot more confident walker if walk with another dog or with two people
Felt like a failure for weeks in thinking hasn't carried her around enough & hearing stories of people letting them of at parks ect & we couldn't even get to the park!
But be calm & persist- it deos get better!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
Thanks you all, re-assuring to the say the least!

I think we'll probably have to go out in two for the time being and keep taking plenty of treats. Everything is very very new for him in the world so I understand it will take him time to settle and gain confidence!  :D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
Very common behaviour for pups, enjoy it while it lasts, in another 3 or 4 months you will could be saying the opposite as pup heads for the horizon  :D  :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly