Author Topic: stealing kids toys  (Read 559 times)

Offline Ringo

stealing kids toys
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Hi all i don't post often but thought id ask you how you deal with this...

We went to the park this morning and Ringo stole one child's mini toy rocket. i asked him to drop it but it was a game for him. After a few seconds he dropped it when i blew the whistle and had some cheese in my hand.  he put teethmarks in the toy so I've offered the lady to buy a new one.

I should have put him on the lead before he saw it and im pretty upset about it.  how can i teach him to differentiate his toys from kids toys for this not to happen again?

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: stealing kids toys
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
I guess the best way is a good, solid "leave it" command.
Dexter will actually spit something out of his mouth if I tell him to "leave it"! (including the dreaded contents of the cat litter tray  :020:) which can be very useful if he steals something before I get a chance to tell him not to!  :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Ringo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
I guess the best way is a good, solid "leave it" command.
Dexter will actually spit something out of his mouth if I tell him to "leave it"! (including the dreaded contents of the cat litter tray  :020:) which can be very useful if he steals something before I get a chance to tell him not to!  :005:

yes

Offline Ringo

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

yes im trying to reinforce his leave it which is good at home but when out and about it becomes a game...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »
and a good recall if he's running over to find/get them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
As PennyB said, a really solid 'leave it' command. Amber will also spit things out if I ask her to leave it - its worth practising using high value treats (pieces of ham / cheese). We used to leave toys around (bought for 20p from car boot sales) and practised leave it with those....

I'm not sure how old Ringo is, but I really wouldn't beat yourself up about it. He did leave it (albeit a bit late) and sometimes, despite your best efforts, things don't go to plan. I do remember an awful walk on the (usually deserted) golf course when Archie stole someone's golf ball and wouldn't give back for anything!  ph34r
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Ringo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »
Thanks yes im trying to do that at home and he's pretty good but as soon as we're out and about and all is so exciting he seems to develop selective hearing and forgets all his training...

He is 8 months old