Author Topic: Our little Lemon Roan  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Elouise

Our little Lemon Roan
« on: December 14, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
Introducing our gorgeous 7 month old working cocker, Izzie. We got her at 13wks old and she's been so good. So full of fun and been so easy to train! We haven't had any troubles with her... except she's better off the lead, than on (that's the only slight negative i can say about her).
However, she's had a couple of bouts of diarrhoea recently, and now sickness too.  We've been to the vets twice and now waiting for the results of her stool sample, and a blood test will be done.  I'm worried sick... she only weighs 7kg and is underweight.  The vet has not yet said what could be causing it but did mention her pancreas might not be functioning?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Pup with weight loss/diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
Sorry, don‘t feel qualified to advise but try not to worry too much at this stage. Its not uncommon for pups / young digs to have tummy problems, it could be as simple as the food not suiting him but if your vet is doing tests I‘m sure he‘ll be able to pinpoint the problem and help you get it sorted soon. Sending best wishes for her!

Offline pibbo1968

Re: Pup with weight loss/diarrhoea
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
I hope you get answers quickly!
Our pup(15 weeks) has quite a lot of “unformed” phaeses(usually in the afternoons) so I’ve been advised to try a different brand of food by a Vet I know(not ours,I’ll be talking to Juras Vet tomorrow).From what I gather Cockers can be really sensitive to food?

Offline Leo0106

Re: Our little Lemon Roan
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
Hi, Can't give any clinical expertise however our pup (now a year old) has had a long run of issues with dodgy tummy!

It all started when he was around 16 weeks old, he started having really loose poos and 'scooting' as if he was in discomfort.

As first time owners we ofcourse panicked and took him to the vets time and time again, we kept him on wainwrights kibble, cut out wet food and for a short while he was fine (at this point he was on turkey and rice) . A couple of months later the issues started all over again. We switched him to salmon and potatoes kibble and it all began to sort itself out. For a couple of months we kept him strictly on salmon and potatoe. No chews, no treats etc kibble was used as his training treat.

We are now at 13 months old and for the last month i have been introducing him to more and more meats etc to test his stomach as thus far, the only thing he has had a bad reaction to is chicken or turkey. Everything else has been absolutely fine .

We are even at the point now where sometimes he seems constipated.. And therefore I give him something that I know will 'relieve' him

I guess what I'm trying to say is from my experience don't panic too much.. I was so worried that my dog was allergic to everything and I would end up spending thousands on special diets etc but it has all worked out fine

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
I hope you get her sorted. It might just be a case of finding an agreeable food. 
I assume her anal glands are ok except that would not explain the sickness. is she sicking up her food or is it yellow foamie sick
the other thing is our Gemma is 6 years old and only weighs 9 kg. So your pup is not necessary underweight unless her ribs are showing. A photo of her would help us clear that up for you
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Elouise

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies, I feel a bit more reassured. We saw a different, more experienced vet yesterday and he told be he doesn't think it's anything too serious (as I sat with my eyes filling up). If the tests don't show up anything them I guess we need to assume it's an allergy to certain foods and find out what suits her. She's on Hills Digestive Care wet food right now. And goodness, Izzie is the same... always scooting. It's reassuring to know that another dog only weighs 9kg. Can you let me know how I can add photos please?

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
To add photos they need to be on a hosting site.I use Flickr but there's quite a few out there(Photobucket etc).You then use the site's URL inside image tags.
[/img]insert you phot's URL here[/img]

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies, I feel a bit more reassured. We saw a different, more experienced vet yesterday and he told be he doesn't think it's anything too serious (as I sat with my eyes filling up). If the tests don't show up anything them I guess we need to assume it's an allergy to certain foods and find out what suits her. She's on Hills Digestive Care wet food right now. And goodness, Izzie is the same... always scooting. It's reassuring to know that another dog only weighs 9kg. Can you let me know how I can add photos please?

there are lots of us on here that are owned by pocket rockets  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
I suspect you just need to find the right food. Cockers are very sensitive and there doesn't seem to be one standard answer. Looking back a few years, I have 'morning poo report' texts about Buster while we were finding the right food for him. Until we did that he was scrawny and had problems with his anal gland. For us the solution was Canagan's but I cannot say whether that will work for you. It seems, from other discussions on here, that it is a matter of trial and error I am afraid