Author Topic: Different coats and temperament??  (Read 2080 times)

Offline PaulOnMc

Different coats and temperament??
« on: February 06, 2023, 04:07:35 PM »

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that different coats have different temperaments?? I’m just curious as I know the majority of people say it’s more to do with genetics but I wonder if you have noticed a general difference at all?

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Different coats and temperament??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »
There was a lot about this years ago, claiming that goldens and blacks had issues. One our members, a trainer and behaviourist wrote his degree thesis on this . He disproved it because statistics were wrong.  The blacks and golds had the highest number of naughty dogs. However, the majority of cockers were black or gold , so obviously outnumbered the rest.
My cocker was black and hard work ,but so were roans and tricolours on here at the same time.   So-called cocker rage is rubbished because all breeds can have problems (just read of dog attacks). In the past, cockers were the largest breed group  , so they just seemed to have a more public profile.   Also people forget that they are working dogs, even the show type, and need brain work and exercise to be happy.
The blacks and golds  that I have met over many years have been fabulous!!!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 06:32:34 PM »
I would say my roan's seem to need more brain stimulation and had higher energy levels.  My black was definitely not up for anything like agility etc.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 07:43:46 PM »
Personally, I don't think it does. We have had black, blue roan and golden. They were all much of a muchness.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 10:17:47 PM »
I don’t think coat colour makes any difference to temperament or character.
My current black has a completely different character to my previous black girl who was a kind gentle soul.  :luv:  I think temperament and character comes from their breeding, particularly the mother.  Maisie my current black has ‘attitude’ and her mother is feisty too.  My liver boy is a very chilled, gentle, sensitive  lad which he got from his mother.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart