Author Topic: Loosing weight  (Read 51 times)

Offline Doogers

• Donator
Loosing weight
« on: Today at 11:27:07 AM »
Hi all,

After some advice please, my 13yr old girl is gradually loosing weight, has anyone got any tips to fatten the girl up? She has never been a big girl.

She has always been a grazer, even from pup so putting more kibble down deffo wont work.

I dont think she has any underlying issue and vet not overly worried, just getting old like us all I guess :D

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Loosing weight
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:23:55 PM »
Hi, - if the vet‘s not worried and has ruled out any health issues, I‘d guess its just a decrease in muscle mass, which effects most of us seniors  >:( .  It may be possible to include more calories by changing or adding to her food but to be honest, as long as her digestion is good,  she‘s well and happy and isn’t begging for for more or refusing food altogether,, I‘d be inclined to carry on as normal and not risk upsetting her system.
 :luv:

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:29:53 PM »
I have this problem with my Ollie who is now coming up to 15 years.
He has lost a lot of weight recently so took him to the vets and he had full bloods and tests done and is apparently fit and healthy.
As bizzylizzy said it is purely muscle mass loss. Ollie’s bottom is a lot smaller [wish mine was] 😂, generally skinnier all over.   I did try feeding him more but it upset his tummy and just made him poo more, so just reduced it again and he is fine.   It’s just old age really, so as long as there are no underlying problems, maybe just the odd extra treat or so.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:11:21 PM »
Pam has really said my thoughts regarding maybe feeding more...my previous boy was 15 too but as he was on steriod he did keep his weight up, but any change in diet would result in either tummy upset of excess toileting which proved stressful to an older dog.

If you give more treats etc or it results in more toileting - now my Harry who is 18months was given pure smooth peanut butter as he was really skinny pup, he still has it (guess its half tps ) on bit of my dry toast or slice carrot just in morning, but my late boy would not of tolerated it.

If she is well and happy think maybe best to leave well alone and but it down toher age., as with my old dog it was sad that we had to really monitor is weight gain in later life, how he loved a wee bit of sausage :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed