Author Topic: Why has my 7 month old puppy weed on my bed?!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Boyler

Why has my 7 month old puppy weed on my bed?!
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Can anyone shed any light on why Gilby decided to wee on my bed?!

He hasn't had an "accident" for months and months, nothing out of the ordinary is happening at home at the moment, we don't encourage him upstairs and have a stair gate but if we are all upstairs he does come with us so he's not banned from upstairs.

But yesterday we were all upstairs in my sons room looking at his new fish tank and I go in my room and there is a MASSIVE wee in the middle of my bed!!! Not just a bit! He us not allowed on the beds and up until recently has not been big enough to jump up on them but now can.

I cannot understand what made him do it! I cannot have been an accident?!! And SURELY not fish tank jealousy?!?!

Any ideas? I moaned at him through annoyance but did not really tell him off as he obviously had not just done it the minute I found it.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Why has my 7 month old puppy weed on my bed?!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
This has been asked on here before, so Gilby isn't unique, but I don't really know the reason.

My first Cocker did it once, when he was maybe 6 or 7 months old and fully housetrained. I had to throw the duvet out but luckily saw him do it and got the duvet off the bed before it soaked through to the mattress. He never did it again :dunno:

One of my current boys (Louis of course >:() once cocked his leg and had a little sprinkle, just a few drops, on a brand new duvet that I'd just got out of it's packaging to give it an airing before putting a cover on it. I think that was just him marking something new, although he's never marked indoors apart from that.

Hopefully Gilby won't do it again :D

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
Two of my dogs have weed on the bed before, just once each when they were young.  I think it's a combination of being excited to be somewhere they see as really associated with the person/people they love most and where they haven't previously been allowed or able to access and perhaps also wanting to add their scent to something that smells strongly of you.  Hopefully, this will just be a one-off event for you too.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
I remember  catching our first cocker weeing on our settee. She was only young then. As I caught her at the time she was grumbled at. She never did it again either. Maybe it's an adolescence thing!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
Brodie has done this recently, twice. To say I was shocked would be a complete understatement, as she is a very, very clean girl, who hides when another dog has an accident in the house :huh:. The only thing I can think of is both times there was quite a bit of disruption going on, including my dad having a stroke. She can be a very stressy little girl and it must have been a way for her to release tension. Afterwards she acted like nothing had happened, which isn't like her at all. She's not allowed in that bedroom now, even though it used to be 'hers'. She's totally fine with other beds in the house, including mine :huh:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
very common with dogs at this age, wouldn't worry to much, Teal did it a few times around this age and I have had other pups in the past do it. It PITA having to change all the bed linen especially when they do it as you are about to get into bed.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
Our Milly came to us as a rescue at 7 months old and peed on our bed within the first week. She hadn't been too well treated by her previous owners and was given more freedom with us which may have gone to her head a bit  :005:.
Unfortunately we didn't notice it for a few hours and, with a summer weight duvet on the bed, it had gone right through into the mattress  :doh:

We stripped the bed and spent that night in the guest bedroom, getting a new mattress, duvet etc. the next day. Due to her previous history we took care not to make anything of it but she seemed to know that it wasn't a good idea and has never done anything like it since.

Bob.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
Could it be a case of growing up and marking his territory :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
Could it be a case of growing up and marking his territory :shades:

I think it's unlikely because apparently he did a big pee, not just a sprinkle :005:

Offline Suzieb

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
My 7 month old Jeffrey has just peed on our bed tonight  >:( 

I just finished putting on his frontline, walked into the bedroom with him following,  he then jumped up on the bed and peed right in front of me. It wasn't a marking pee it was a full pee. I didn't really know how to react so I just popped him in the kitchen while I stripped the bed and cleaned it up without saying anything to him, then let him out when I was done.

Not sure if i handled this in the right way or how I should handle it if he does it again. Do I need to keep him out of the bedroom now?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
My Archie managed to sneak into my youngest daughter's room around a month ago (when he was around 11 months old) and had a wee on her bed.  I think in his case it was a mixture of excitement of gaining access to somewhere I don't let him go and putting his own stamp over her smell.  He's never done a wee on either his bed or ours (and he sleeps in our room at night). 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!