Author Topic: In Pain  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
In Pain
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
Walking on the hills where there's plenty of gorse and blackberry bushes [a common walk] my 6 year old female cocker suddenly yelped in pain then began shaking her head. Thinking at first she's picked up a thorn or worse still, a tic.
Although she has a little whimper around one ear when we try to check through her hair for any foreign body, we just can't see anything, not even a cut.
She is eating well and her poo is normal, maybe a little lethargic and not running around as she would usually.

Other than the vets, where no doubt she'll be given a pills [whether needed or not] does anyone have any similar experience and/or advice.

Thanks.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: In Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
Sounds like some sort of bite maybe? Earth bees or wasps? humphrey had his nose in a wasp nest last year, he was very subdued for about 24 hours .Also, there was a thread on here last week about adders - don‘t know if its a possibility but it was the first thing to spring to mind! Hope its nothing too nasty and that she‘s feeling better soon!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
My first thought was also a sting or bite of some sort.

I don't know when it happened, but if it was a few hours ago or more, and she isn't reacting badly, then it should be pretty safe to eliminate an adder bite as the cause and make it more likely to be an insect bite, perhaps bee, wasp or horsefly.

Another thought, could it be a grass seed and the initial yelp was when a barbed seed of some sort entered her ear? I think that's less likely than a sting because she would probably be shaking her head a lot if there was a grass seed stuck in there, or carefully holding her head to one side.

Hope she's OK now.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
You could go to the chemist and ask for piriton syrup
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
I would be thinking grass seed in her ear. I would take her to the vet to get it checked out to be on the safe side. If there is something in there, it won’t come out on its own and could turn nasty if left. Hope she’s back to normal soon.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
its worth getting her checked out as could be anything - I once took Wilf to vets as he was holding his front paw up and appeared to be hobbling there and while there apart from checking his limbs vet took his temperature and discovered it was up but we couldn't work out what was causing it. He was given antibiotics - day later discovered he had a nasty ear infection that wasn't apparrent at the time (could well have been a grass seed as by now puss was coming out of it). On another occasion one of my dogs yelped and was limping on his hind leg but it turned out to be sciatica as he'd hurt his back. Sometimes its not obvious but the basics need to be looked at
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!