Author Topic: Pancreatitis- low grade inflammation  (Read 1169 times)

Offline ANJ

• Otis 24.10.2010
Pancreatitis- low grade inflammation
« on: June 07, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »
Hi COL peeps.....

So, my 8 year male cocker spaniel started vomiting intermittently during the early morning hours two weeks again, it didn’t happen every night/morning and he was behaving completely normally, so we left it a while, but I went to the vets after one week.
She checked his temperature, heart beat and pulse and felt his tummy and sent me home with some omeprazole.
He was ok for three nights, then vomited again once, went back, asked for blood tests and a pancreatic SNAP test.
Wednesday I was told that his bloods were normal, but the SNAP test showed low grade inflammation.

He is now on a very low fat diet and still on the omeprazole.
He is not vomiting, has normal appetite and pees/poos normally as well.

The thing is, I feel he is a bit lethargic, sleeping all the time in his basket....... i felt he was normal even at the weekend.
I don’t know if it is because I feed him small meals and frequently and that makes him sleepy and
I believe it takes time for the pancreas to improve.

Should I be doing something different?

My husband still walks him twice each day, but should he be rested?
He’s already been on omeprazole one week, and seemed ok, but could this be making him feel off colour as well? The vet did say to continue another week, then stop that.

I know you are not vets here, but your knowledge has always surpassed any info I get from my vet.
Just want my bouncy cocker boy back  :'(  :luv:

Hope someone has experience and knows what to expect.

Xx

Offline rubyduby

Re: Pancreatitis- low grade inflammation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
My girl had kidney issues and has several flares of Pancreatitis, she took a while to recover, but she was never sick or showed pain, just off her food and lethargic. Did your dog have the sap lipase test whch tells you if your dog has Pancreatitis. Yes low fat bland food , also feed 4-5 times a day small amounts to help the Pancreas. Has your dog had full blood tests and where the results ok/...always get copies (email?) as vets often don't know much and having copies mean you can contact appropriate groups on facebook. There is a site for Canine Pancreatits, these sites are definitely a boon and know more than vets, 

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Pancreatitis- low grade inflammation
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
I watch my girl like a hawk for any symptoms, I've learnt her subtle "tells" that all is not well.

For her it's usually Hunger, she wants to eat ,eat and eat so this is when I go into Rest Mode,

No walks for 2-3 days and no jumping up.
Bland diet of White Fish or Turkey mince with Sweet potato or rice for at least 4 days, fed in 4 small meals.
No treats
Tree Bark powders until symptoms disappear.

I read all packets of treats etc for fat content, I try to get everything 5 percent or below, I also feed her a home cook diet every couple of weekends as I hope this is easier to digest and gives her Pancreas a bit of a rest anyway.

Thankfully Bea is a chilled out Cocker and loves a plain diet so I guess I have it easy with her  :005: