Author Topic: Can anyone help - Louis has dementia and I need help with cut and groom  (Read 1325 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
I've not posted for a long time now but wonder if anyone can help.  Louis is almost 14 and sadly has dementia which can at times be distressing as a lot of you have probably been through, he goes to the groomer every 6 weeks and has done this since he was little but when we went to collect him and Alfie on his last visit 5 weeks ago the groomer told us he started to really panic in the bath and although they tried calming him down and doing everything slowly he was very scared and didn't seem to know what was going on or where he was, she then couldn't do his usual cut and only managed to do a little of one paw.
we are now really struggling with the weather and his fur is very thick and very long.  Both boys have an appointment booked for next Saturday but she is not sure anything will be any different.  I have tried asking if she has any free time at the end of the day  just to literally do a short cut all over and I will bath him myself but she cant fit him in so (I thought with an empty shop and just us there with him it would be easier ) .... I am wondering if there is anyone living in Essex who cuts and grooms their own cockers at home and would be able to help with Louis this Saturday or Sunday. We are based in Wickford but are happy to drive him. I am also more than happy to have someone come to our home although it would be using bath towels on the floor to stand on to cut him.  He has  had hip dyplacia since he was one and can't stand for long at all and recently when he goes to get up from a nap his back legs will just go and he flops down so it has to be a quick short cut all over.   I don't want to call a mobile groomer in as I really want someone who has their own cocker spaniel and understand the breed and the problems Louis has.   If anyone can help I would be so grateful

Offline Issy

• Donator
Hi. Sorry can’t help with the clip as we are in Somerset so too far away but we did have a terrier with dementia and she found life very difficult at times. What really helped her was adaptil ( you can buy from amazon or the vets), the plug in defuser for life in general but they also do a spray for the car when traveling or any potentially stressful event like clipping.  Also our vet prescribed zylkene for her.  It’s a milky powder in a capsule that they have every day and the effects build up over a few days. It used to have an amazing effect on her and we could tell if she had a week or so off of it. Hope you find something that works for Louis.

Offline deano

• Site Member
Hi Issy

We used to use adaptil when we lived in Spain for our rescue Alfie and it was really good for him, with Louis he seems fine in his own environment I think it was the panic of the groomers and not remembering he goes there and what happens, thats why I feel he would be better if someone could see him on his own and quickly cut him short all over, I might be able to calm him with a bath once thats done.    Aat first he used to sit and stare and it progressed from that to laying down and staring at the wall, pacing a lot, now he sleeps for ages and then when hes awake will pace round very slowly as his legs are bad or sometimes he will make it down the steps to the garden do the same pacing there and come back.  He doesn't bark anymore and he used to love barking at the birds or the doorbell, he has given up stealing anything when its dropped.  He still knows us and if hes awake when we down stairs he will walk slowly to greet us but we know we are going to have to make decisions son as this week when he tries to get up he cant get his back legs to work so we lift him and rub them till he gets going.  Our vet prescribed Vivitonin
but it hasnt really helped, he has yumove for his legs and metacam but its heart breaking to see him changing.  Its so hard for us all when we get to this stage.  :'(

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
I'm in Essex and will PM you our groomers details.

Sharon.

Offline Issy

• Donator
Deano, I do feel for you as I know how heartbreaking it is. I hope you manage to find someone in your area to help. It is so very hard when you watch them going downhill.

Offline deano

• Site Member
Thanks Issy

It doesn't seem that long ago we had the heartbreak of losing Frankie to Lieishmaniasis, and we still cant look at photos of him. it was truly devastating, I lost my brother last month and Louis has been slowly getting worse in recent months so its been a difficult time,  Louis still knows us and is still interested in food when he sees us doing it, its just the rest of it that's so hard to watch knowing how big his character was. x

Offline PennyB

Sounds like you've been having a tough time of it - take care of yourself and hope things get a little better soon
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!