Author Topic: Sudden change in behaviour  (Read 1338 times)

Offline PaulEvans

Sudden change in behaviour
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Charlie turned 1 on Saturday, in the week leading up to his birthday he has decided that he will just run off and only come back when he is ready!
Previous to this he always kept me in sight, but now he is just a rebel, he runs off into any copse or wooded area and I just have to sit and wait!
Would some training help, or have him castrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Sudden change in behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
Sorry, but castration is not a cure all training aid IMO.  His running off is likely related to a) his breed (working type cocker spaniel - bred to hunt; b) the season - lots of ground nesting birds about as well as bunnies for him to hunt; c) a lack of training in areas where there is scent.  Could also be related to his age - he's found his nose as well as his confidence.  Honestly, I'd suggest finding a gundog (spaniel) trainer in your area and going to a 121 lesson to find out how best to channel his instincts and still have some control.  Good luck.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
It's not uncommon for young dogs (under 2 years) to become braver and more forgetful of their obedience training. Typically compared to the teenage years in humans  ;) The best thing to do is to take a step back in the training. Start recall training basicly from scratch, it's annoying but you will be rewarded in the long run. Use a long line to make sure he does not take off until the recall is better again, that way he can not make a habit of it. Use high quality rewards for recall training and have fun!

Edit: I agree that unless he is specifically chasing bitches in heat then castration will not be the cure here. Training is what he needs  ;)

Offline PaulEvans

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
Sorry, but castration is not a cure all training aid IMO.  His running off is likely related to a) his breed (working type cocker spaniel - bred to hunt; b) the season - lots of ground nesting birds about as well as bunnies for him to hunt; c) a lack of training in areas where there is scent.  Could also be related to his age - he's found his nose as well as his confidence.  Honestly, I'd suggest finding a gundog (spaniel) trainer in your area and going to a 121 lesson to find out how best to channel his instincts and still have some control.  Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try training
I didn't want to get him castrated, just someone said it would help his behaviour! As a man I was against the idea, but thought I'd ask!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
It's very typical of his age and about amusing himself by following his nose. I had to put Henry back on the lead and train on the longline from 10 months to 18 months old. Training not just on recall but making me the centre of his focus and source of all fun. He is now 22 months old and I'm only just now beginning to test him out off lead in wooded areas again.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
Hi, I would also recommend the long lead. I have to admit to being very reluctant at first, but we stuck it out and I'm so glad we did. After about 6 weeks, I used to let go of the lead and he trailed it behind him and then gradually we managed to do without it altogether.
When you're walking, praise and reward everytime he looks up at you - even if he's up ahead and turns to see where you are, praise him, the idea is to get him to learn that he needs to keep you in his sights all the time,If he goes off ahead and disregards you, try turning round and going the other way, you can also try hiding. BIG rewards for an immediate recall and try to vary the rewards, it doesn't always have to be food, a game will also keep him motivated and focussed on you.
They can be real little teenagers at this age but if you're if you're consistant with training now, it'll pay out later on. Best of luck, keep us posted!

Offline PaulEvans

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
Hi, I would also recommend the long lead. I have to admit to being very reluctant at first, but we stuck it out and I'm so glad we did. After about 6 weeks, I used to let go of the lead and he trailed it behind him and then gradually we managed to do without it altogether.
When you're walking, praise and reward everytime he looks up at you - even if he's up ahead and turns to see where you are, praise him, the idea is to get him to learn that he needs to keep you in his sights all the time,If he goes off ahead and disregards you, try turning round and going the other way, you can also try hiding. BIG rewards for an immediate recall and try to vary the rewards, it doesn't always have to be food, a game will also keep him motivated and focussed on you.
They can be real little teenagers at this age but if you're if you're consistant with training now, it'll pay out later on. Best of luck, keep us posted!

I think the other half will be harder to train than Charlie!!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »
Time to start basic training again - its quite normal in dogs this age from 6 months to 2 years old to play up  (all animals go through it at various ages)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
Think of yourself as a teenager and that will help you inside his head.

He's growing and getting more confident and curious. The dry spring does seem to have been good for holding scents this year.

I am afraid it is just back on the lead and back into training. Make it fun with lots of games and you will both enjoy it.

Offline PaulEvans

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
Had some training tonight, for both Charlie and I, local guy who works  his 10 cockers!!!
Progress made already, think I needed more training than Charlie tho!!

Offline chien

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
the idea is to get him to learn that he needs to keep you in his sights all the time,If he goes off ahead and disregards you, try turning round and going the other way, you can also try hiding.

This is very good advice and it's something i read somewhere else - i think it was some expert on gundogs. If you remember when he was young he should have always wanted to be near you or at least look for where you went so he didn't lose you? (If that rings a bell then i think he has probably got complacent knowing that you will always be roughly where he left you. I tried this with my girl and would walk off in a different direction or run off(only if safe) sometimes but always stay in frame of her so she could find me again. It worked really well and now she knows that i can quickly be gone if she doesn't keep her eye on me.
I would play a little game and shout "look" and she would turn around while I ran away from her , she loved this! she would come chasing me down in the fear that i'd get away :)

I am no expert by any means but maybe its a little tip that can help in someway. Good luck! :)