Author Topic: Feel I've Made a Breakthrough at the Vet's UPDATE  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Feel I've Made a Breakthrough at the Vet's UPDATE
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Don't want to start a discussion regarding the pros and cons of yearly vaccinations, but Toby went to the vet today for his first booster.  I asked him about Titre testing and was expecting him to pooh pooh the idea but he was very interested in what I had to say regarding the research I've done concerning boosters and the link to Auto Immune.  Long story short, I mentioned Vaccicheck (an inhouse testing currently being used at some veterinary surgeries) and he took details as it isn't anything they use and have not had any other clients asking about Titre testing.  He is going to look into it for me and will ring me when he has more info about it.  

He was very understanding about my concerns and acknowledged that it could be the way forward for the surgery.  I'm feeling chuffed, to be honest.  Toby has had his first booster but his subsequent ones will depend on the results of his future Titre testing.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Feel I've Made a Breakthrough at the Vet's
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
 :clapping: well done for doing your research and standing up for what you want.  SOunds like your vet is a very levels headed and open one! :)
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
Yes well done! Progress!
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »
When doing the research did it say if they are ok there is no need to vaci ate, how does that stand with the passport would they still let them travel.  Selby is due to have his and I don't like him having them.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
When doing the research did it say if they are ok there is no need to vaci ate, how does that stand with the passport would they still let them travel.  Selby is due to have his and I don't like him having them.

I don't have that answer for you, sorry, but for a guess, a passport would only be issued to a fully vaccinated animal.  It's the same scenario as wanting to kennel an un-vaccinated dog, or claiming off insurance for a disease the dog gets that it isn't vaccinated for.  In my opinion, if the owner has a certificate issued by a vet to confirm Titre testing has been carried out and the dog has it's own immunity, then that should suffice and be evidence that the dog has immunity and re-vaccination is unnecessary.  As I say, my opinion only but I would sure love that to be the case!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Mm that's what I thought, I agree if you hav had blood work done and it says they have immunity then that should suffice, I have to put selby into kennels and the last time he had the injection he was I'll for a few days.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
Mm that's what I thought, I agree if you hav had blood work done and it says they have immunity then that should suffice, I have to put selby into kennels and the last time he had the injection he was I'll for a few days.

I can understand you don't want to vaccinate him.  It's about time kennels woke up to the fact that owners are concerned about yearly vaccinations and the dangers that can go with them.  But I suppose in all probability, it would affect their insurance if they changed their views and kennelled titre tested dogs so I can't see them ever budging on that one. unfortunately.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
Don't want to start a discussion regarding the pros and cons of yearly vaccinations, but Toby went to the vet today for his first booster.  I asked him about Titre testing and was expecting him to pooh pooh the idea but he was very interested in what I had to say regarding the research I've done concerning boosters and the link to Auto Immune.  Long story short, I mentioned Vaccicheck (an inhouse testing currently being used at some veterinary surgeries) and he took details as it isn't anything they use and have not had any other clients asking about Titre testing.  He is going to look into it for me and will ring me when he has more info about it.  

He was very understanding about my concerns and acknowledged that it could be the way forward for the surgery.  I'm feeling chuffed, to be honest.  Toby has had his first booster but his subsequent ones will depend on the results of his future Titre testing.

All three of the local vets I asked were similarly interested - I'll be interested to find out what they quote you!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »
Are you referring to the pet passport? If so, this is for rabies vaccinations, not anything else. In the UK these are only required every 3 years. So i just have rabies done to keep their passports valid.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
hi..may be a stupid question but why would you be concerned about yearly vaccinations xx

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
What about pet insurance though?  Mine says it is only valid if the dogs' vaccinations are up to date....
Just a thought.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
I checked with Petplan today and I was informed that Tali won't be covered for the diseases the vaccines would cover however they didn't seem adverse to the fact if I could prove immunity through titring that with the right paperwork they may consider accepting that.

So I will give that a go.

However, he is fully insured for anything else.

Free Cake!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
Found this on another forum:-

We use the Nobivac vaccine. I would prefer not to vaccinate but as I use kennels and they insist on an up to date vaccine we don't have a choice. Nobivac state that the main elements of the vaccine are valid for 3 years but that the Lepto needs to be done annually. Therefore as long as you have lepto in between the 3 yearly Nobivac full vaccine the kennels are complying with their licencing requirements and happy to take your dog. Their licences say they must have a vaccinated dog and if you are vaccinating in line with manufacturers recommendations this is then "fully vaccinated". The price of a Nobivac vaccine is I believe the same as other brands of vaccines and the years that I have only the Lepto I don't pay any less, but at least that way it saves my dog from having a full vaccine every year.  If your vet doesn't use Nobivac it may be worth ringing around the other local vets.

Hope it helps

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
Lepto is the dangerous one as it is a live bacterium vaccine. It only covers a couple of strains so a dog can still pick it up even if vaccinated. I also believe it's only effective for about 8 months anyway.

Please read up more on the dangers of these vaccines before boostering your dogs. ;)

Free Cake!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »
All three of the local vets I asked were similarly interested - I'll be interested to find out what they quote you!
Wow, if professional ears are pricking that is a major breakthrough.  I'll update this post for you as soon as I have spoken to my vet.  

hi..may be a stupid question but why would you be concerned about yearly vaccinations xx

I don't have time to reply in detail bentley, so to keep it very, very short, yearly vaccination can contrinbute to an animal developing Auto Immune Disease by overloading it's immune system.  The primary and first booster vaccinations can give a dog all the immunity it needs for as much as 7 years (or even lifetime) therefore to booster every year is overloading the animal's system to a possible detrimental affect.  When you get time, have a read through this:  http://www.wsava.org/VGG1.htm 

I checked with Petplan today and I was informed that Tali won't be covered for the diseases the vaccines would cover however they didn't seem adverse to the fact if I could prove immunity through titring that with the right paperwork they may consider accepting that.

So I will give that a go.

However, he is fully insured for anything else.

Mel, getting insurance companies to accept a Titre tested dog is the next step.  Are you going to supply the paperwork to them in the hope they will confirm it to you in writing that they are happy to do this?

Lepto is the dangerous one as it is a live bacterium vaccine. It only covers a couple of strains so a dog can still pick it up even if vaccinated. I also believe it's only effective for about 8 months anyway.

Please read up more on the dangers of these vaccines before boostering your dogs. ;)

As you know Mel, Titre testing covers the three core vaccinations: Parvo, Heptatitis and Distemper (Hardpad).  The others; Lepto and Para-influenza cannot be tested for and yes indeed, protection from the Lepto vaccine can last for as little as only six months.  It's suggested that owners and vets consult as to the risk of a dog coming into contact with Lepto - if your dog drinks from puddles, canals, rivers etc it is at high risk and should have the vaccination.  A dog that is walked onlead an doesn't have access to canal, river, puddle water would be classed as low risk.  So, the onus is on the owner to assess the risk factor.

Found this on another forum:-

We use the Nobivac vaccine. I would prefer not to vaccinate but as I use kennels and they insist on an up to date vaccine we don't have a choice. Nobivac state that the main elements of the vaccine are valid for 3 years but that the Lepto needs to be done annually. Therefore as long as you have lepto in between the 3 yearly Nobivac full vaccine the kennels are complying with their licencing requirements and happy to take your dog. Their licences say they must have a vaccinated dog and if you are vaccinating in line with manufacturers recommendations this is then "fully vaccinated". The price of a Nobivac vaccine is I believe the same as other brands of vaccines and the years that I have only the Lepto I don't pay any less, but at least that way it saves my dog from having a full vaccine every year.  If your vet doesn't use Nobivac it may be worth ringing around the other local vets.

Hope it helps

Thanks Pat, that's interesting to know and my vet uses Nobivac.