Author Topic: Introducing Mina  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Mina

Introducing Mina
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Hello all!

I would like to introduce my 17 month old Mina! She is my first cocker, and my first dog in 20 years (the last was a Gordon Setter). I fell in love with cockers a couple of years ago when I and hubby regularly looked after a friend's two cocker girls, and it was then we decided that we needed to have one (or two??) of these cheeky little fur babies to brighten up our days.

Well, it has been a ride! We love her so much and she has taught us lots. We got her at 8 weeks and she went through a real bad cockerdile stage in the first months but overall I think she is calmer than most cockers (at least compared to some of the stories I read on here...) and she's really cuddly and affectionate. She would lick us both to death if she had her way (actually, I think the licking is a bit excessive – any ideas on how to curb that a little? At her worst biting stage, we taught her to lick instead and maybe it became an obsession??).

I have been reading this forum for a while now and find it so useful and reassuring. I find that most of my questions (and I have had tons of them!) have already been answered in previous posts but I will surely come to you for further advice at some stage, especially if we decide to go for number two…

Do you think Mina has both working and show cocker in her? Unfortunately she did not come from a very responsible breeder and we know almost nothing about her family history… Not sure if you can see her in my profile pic very well. I will see if I can find a way to upload a better photo  :blink:

Cheers!

Offline Mina

Re: Introducing Mina
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
hi to you and the lovely Mina. Cockers are the most loving dogs .  I am owned by red working girl Gemma who is the happiest when she is suffocationlee   ( no such word but you know what i mean) close to you.  For photos you need to use a host site. Most of us use imgbb sucessfully
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
Hi and welcome to you and Mina. Glad you found us! I‘m trained by Humphrey, a gold/sable show who‘s tongue also needs constant excercise, hand cream, body lotion and co. all have to be removed immediately after application!  :004:!!
Look forward to seeing photos and hearing more!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mina is very pretty. We are servants to a golden show cocker called Daisy, and she is a complete cuddle bug. Enjoy the forum.

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
Hello and welcome.

I am relatively new here, but it is a good forum and very friendly.

I would second the idea of having two. We had two (brother and sister) for years before we go another puppy last year. We are now thinking of getting another as the Oldies will not be up for long walks soon and young Mason will have nobody to play with.

Offline Mina

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
Thank you for your messages! Really nice to connect with other cocker crazy people!  :lol2:

Managed to add some photos in my earlier failed post above  :blink:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
Gorgeous photos! (btw if you want the photo to appear in your post rather than just the link, be sure to copy and paste the BB code link).

She looked like a mix of show and worker to my untrained eye. 100% cocker gorgeousness, though.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
Love that first photo particularly!! I don‘t get to see many wc‘s so wouldn‘t like to comment on what „variety she is, but she‘s very pretty, whatever!!  :luv:

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Oh, what a cutie she is! ❤

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
 :luv: :luv: :luv: Beautiful girl.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
Mina is gorgeous  :luv:

Yes, I would say she is at least part working cocker - whatever she is, she is beautiful  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Agree, she's gorgeous. Welcome!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
Welcome to COL Mina is a very pretty girl  :luv:  to me her head shape looks more show, very pretty with but with a more compact workery body ??? But could be wrong shes a stunner whatever. Our Ben was 100% show with really good lines in his pedigree but he still looked like a worker once clipped  :005:

Two cockers is a great idea  ;)

Offline Mina

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!  :D

I thought she was part show part worker too, just by looking at photos and reading about the two strains. Her coat is very easy maintenance too, like a worker.   :luv:

Do you have suggestions on whether to get a boy or a girl to keep Mina company? My friend's two cocker girls that I looked after in the past sometimes fought over their ball, up to the point of drawing blood. I witnessed it once and it was really scary. I definitely want to try to avoid this. I understand that this is more likely if they a both girls. Any advice? And any idea about how likely it is that the two will not get along? Mina was very submissive as a puppy but has built up a lot on her self confidence in the past 6 months and I am not sure how she would react to having to share our attention (she can be jealous of other dogs).