Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Wyldie85

Yeast
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, yet to post much...

So after initially thinking that our cocker was suffering from allergies and pollen issues (itching and scratching) we've taken him to the vets today and it turns out he has a yeast infection.

So we've been given a medicated shampoo to use and will need to monitor this. I know that cockers are particularly susceptible to skin complaints and yeast infections but I wondered if there was a particular way you handled this issue.

The poor boy has been scratching and itching constantly for the past couple of weeks. A anti itch shampoo didn't help and a biotic powder for his food hasn't really helped either. Hopefully this vet prescribed shampoo will help. Do you do anything else to keep this condition at bay? I just wish we'd done something sooner.

Thanks

Daniel
Human to Spencer, golden cocker spaniel

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Hello

If it is a yeast infection could it be something in you are feeding him, either for his meals or his treats? might be worth looking into if he has been scratching for a while now.

Hope the shampoo helps make him more comfortable.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Toofast

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
What type of food are you feeding?
So many of these itchy and yeast problems can be controlled by diet.
If you can do a complete change over to an all raw diet you may be plesantly surprised  what a difference it makes. So  many health issues are solved by using this natural way of feeding our canine friends. Results may not be instant and as you have had this problem for some time it may take a few weeks.
Change over to raw can be very quick and without any problems, also much cheaper than continuous visits to the vet ( who probably will not agree with raw food).

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
hi I have been in same situation for a while now.  I feed raw diet, no grains.  my dog has allergies but also yeast in the ears, chin an front paws.  I have had a nightmare cant get rid of it.  using malaseb shampoo, also got some ear drops but nothing has really helped.  tried yumega oil, coconut oil, vinegar. 

Offline Wyldie85

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
He only has Nutriment and has been on a raw diet for a long time so I can't believe it's that. Unless all of a sudden he's become allergic to something in there...

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »
He only has Nutriment and has been on a raw diet for a long time so I can't believe it's that. Unless all of a sudden he's become allergic to something in there...

mm a tricky one then, I hope you are able to find a solution to ease his itching, it is distressing for them.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »
I changed Bea over to Raw a year ago for the same issue, I gradually cut out all her treats as that where the type you can buy in Tesco.

Her outbreaks are almost nil, she currently has a ear infection that I believe was brought on my me feeding her cheese, she had systitus and I was using cheese to hide her tablet in!

The treats she now has are mainly fish skin based or dried meat, unfortunately it involves a lot of reading of ingredient.

I have her feet cut short the same as inside her ears and I don't over clean her ears, some vets wanted me to clean them twice a week!

I leave the Malaseb shampoo on her feet for as long as she will let me, for her that's about 4 mins  :005:

Hope the itching soon stops.

Sharon.

Offline Wyldie85

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:03:32 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Well lets see how this new shampoo works out. He had a 10 minute soak in the bath in it last night and whilst he's still itchy this morning, it isn't quite so severe as it was so that's promising.

His feet, especially around his pads are quite hairy at the moment so I will try and give them a trim up at the weekend.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
some raw feeders say a dog with yeast issues should only be fed the meat, bone and offal .  no veg or fruit as this can feed the yeast.