Author Topic: Inner ear infection/ vestibular syndrome  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Inner ear infection/ vestibular syndrome
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
I feel bad that I haven't spent more time on here and just seem to show up when I need answers. But it is so scary to have a poorly cocker and I know you lovely people have so much understanding and experience.

My 12 year old girl got really ill this weekend. She has been in great shape lately because I'm trying to loose weight and so she's been on extra long walks with me. This saturday however she seemed tired and depressed. She did not eat her dinner, which is extremely rare for her.

On sunday she was wobbly on her feet and fell over when she tried walking. She had a fever as well. Would not eat her kibble. I tricked her to drink by boiling a chicken filet and giving her the cooled down water from it. She also ate the chicken. But she was obviously painful and miserable. Would not move except for going out to pee, and struggled stay on her feet. In the afternoon her temperatur reached 40, so I phoned the on-call vet. I had some carprofen (rimadyl) and he instructed me to give her this to lower the fever. Thankfully it worked and she seemed a lot less painful the rest of the night. Still wobbly though.

I had her checked out properly on Monday. The veterinarian thinks she has an inner ear infection. Her outer ear is fine, but her eardrum is damaged and her middle ear infected. We are hoping that there is nothing worse going on, there are no clinics nearby with an MRI machine anyway so checking her brain would be difficult. But I feel like an inner ear infection is a scary diagnosis too!

Has anyone here been through this? Was antibiotics enough or did the dog need more treatment? Did they get better and did they regain their balance once the infection cleared? How long did you have to medicate before seeing improvement? What are your experiences with this? I always feel better hearing about other cases, even if they did not have the best outcome. I just need as much information as I can get to occupy my mind and not let imagination take over  ;)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Inner ear infection/ vestibular syndrome
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »
Hallo Mari, nice to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your poorly pooch. Milo had this when he was about ten years old, he got an infection in both ears, oozing pus, it was horrible. He had antibiotics , and his 3ars flushed, which cleared it up, and his staggering too, but over the next few weeks he lost his eardrums and went deaf. We had to clean his ears every day for the rest of his life (he lived til fifteen), and put drops in them. He had to have his ears flushed under GA about three times subsequently, but the injection did not recur, though it was so sad that he went deaf. We watched his ears like a hawk (apparently his ear canals were very narrow). There was talk about the vet doing a total ablation, but after discovering what a massive op that was, and talking to a friend whose dog had it and was never the same again, we decided against it, and we were able to manage his condition until he died of something else entirely.

Hope this helps and your dog improves quickly.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
Nice to have you back but sorry your girl is poorly   :luv:  our previous boy was prone to ear infections, and they are very painful. Antibiotics did the trick, but he was off his food and very sorry for himself until the antibiotics kicked in and the pain eased. He never got as bad as your girl, and it makes sense that she has balance issues. If her middle ear is where the infection is rooted it will definitely affect her balance. Keep us posted on how she progresses, please.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and comments!

It's strange, I've seen no signs of infection in the outer ear. She had a really nasty infection a few years back so I watch her ears closely. The vet said this one likely originated in the middle ear and that's why I had no idea. But I feel awful, she must have been in pain for some time for it to get this bad I think.

I'm worried because my vet didn't take any samples for culture. I guess with the infection that far in it may be difficult. But she is on broad spectrum antibiotics and I worry that it's not going to be enough. But I suppose we can take a culture later if the treatment doesn't work. It's funny, I always say to everyone that they should demand cultures, easy to forget apparently. He didn't do any cleaning or recommend any cleaning either. But again, that could be because there's nothing to clean in the outer ear. I should have asked more questions I suppose.

Thanks again for sharing experiences! It's comforting to know others have been through it. I am not used to seeing my dog like this. She has been ill before, and had surgeries and even poisoned herself accidentally. But she has never refused to eat for days, or been this depressed. It really frightens me!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:56:18 PM »
 Marti my springer got this when she was about 10, and her head was tipped to one side for a week or so.  The vet said it would clear up in a week or so, and it did.
When she was 12 she got it again,  on one side, and she was tilted to that side. Then a couple of weeks later she got it on the other side, which balanced out the tipping to normal. It?s difficult to see them like this, and to remind yourself that they feel horribly dizzy. .
One tip I would give you is to use a raised feeding and drink bowls, or position them on a step, to make it easier for them.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
Raised bowls are a good idea, thanks! I've been handfeeding her. And it makes sense that both sides affected equals normal head posture. Laurie does not tip her head. She holds her head straight, but will loose her balance when she turns around, tries climbing the stairs (I carry her), or stops to sniff things. She looks like she is drunk and just looses her balance and falls over randomly. It would be funny if I didn't know how dizzy and painful she must be feeling.

Yesterday was a tough day for her. She barely moved all day. She wasn't sleeping either, just laying curled up in a ball with her eyes shut. Did not even want cuddles. I phoned the vet in the afternoon and asked if I could get something for her pain. She is now on rimadyl in addition to the antibiotics and she is much better! She must have been in so much pain, poor girl! She still falls over if she moves to quickly and is quieter than usual. But she sleeps, eats a little, comes to me for cuddles and even wags her tail. I am still scared for her, but seeing her personality come back is a relief! Pain management is such an important part of treatment plans!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Hi Mari, - was thinking only the other day that we hadn?t heard from you lately!
So sorry to hear Lauri? ?s poorly, - can?t offer any advice I?m afraid, the only problem we?ve ever experienced was a grass seed in the ear which had to be removed under GA   and needed antibiotics but even that made Humphrey very miserable so I can imagine how an infection would make her feel, poor girl.
Hope you can find some help for her soon. Sending  :bigarmhug: from me a lick from Humph? :luv:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Thanks  :luv:

Last night I heard som huffs, snorts and rummaging in the other room. I found Laurie with her head in the toy bin and her tail wagging. Toys spread out on the floor around her :lol2: Today was even better because she rudely begged for food when I ate my lunch. I am still worried because I know ear infections can be hard to get rid of. The vet said that he expected at least 3-4 weeks on antibiotics will be needed. But seing her playful and hungry and able to walk without falling over is worth a celebration  :dance04:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :clapdance: :clapdance: good news!

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »
Lots of TLC together with a bit of COL magic and some antibiotics is obviously doing the trick!!  :clapdance:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
Excellent news!  :cool4: :banana: Keep getting better little one  :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
Brilliant news!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
Never under estimate the power of a Cocker  (or COL) :005: :luv: