Author Topic: Lumps!  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Rolo12

Lumps!
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
Hi

Rolo is 6 1/2 now and a few months ago I found a lump on his chest. I took him to the vets and they said they thought it was just a fatty lump as quite soft but they couldn?t be sure without testing it. Rolo Hayes the vets and is super flighty so it would be very difficult to take an extraction with him being awake. We decided to leave it as he seemed well within himself and the lump doesn?t bother him. I didn?t want to put through anaesthetic if not necessary. But...
Now I?ve found another lump on his shoulder, this one is smaller and more ball shaped, still quite soft. I?ve booked an appointment to take him in and get it checked but I guess it?ll be the same prognosis.
Is this quite common in cockers or should I be worried?
Anyone had anything similar? Thanks
Caz :)

Offline TirelessTitch

Re: Lumps!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
Sounds like lipomas - fatty lumps that appear just under the skin and can be moved around (wiggled) a bit. i.e. not attached to deeper tissue. My Anatolian had these and ended up with several, but they were not in places that gave him any trouble. You do need a vets opinion though, just to rule out anything more problematic.
They can cause problems if in awkward places such as creases, or anywhere they may get friction irritation or impede movement. Mostly though they are more of a cosmetic problem unless they get really big. (my Anatolians were on his back and remained about 1 inch across at their largest).

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
Get it checked just in case. But, my boys sprouted fatty lumps as they got older, and as long as the vet wasn't worried they stayed where they were.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Our Border Collie and my Nan's Springer's had these and didn't cause them an issue.

It's always best to get them checked out by a Vet, they might want to keep an eye on them so it's best that they are checked and added to any notes for future reference.

Sharon.