Author Topic: Toileting often  (Read 1255 times)

Offline jonnytrabant

Toileting often
« on: September 24, 2022, 07:25:55 AM »
Hi
My 10yo working cocker had what i thought gastroenteritis a couple of weeks ago and was treated by “starving him” and then chicken, rice and scrambled eggs and a small course of antibiotics when i took him to the vets. However a sixth sense in me told me he wasn’t quite right. I live in a flat but he started to bunny hop while going down the stairs (though not all the time) and being generally unsettled during the night and ended up with me having to take him out either for a wee or a poo, then he would settle. Normally he has a very good bladder, but this has got me worried. He does and always does wee frequently and i would joke as to where he gets it from, but this is different.
Other than this, he’s very much himself and has loads of energy, always up for ball and you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with him.
He’s been fed raw (Nutriment) since he was 3yo.

He’s got another appointment with the vet this morning, but id love some thoughts from anyone on what this could be.

Much appreciated

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Toileting often
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »
I wonder about a bladder infection.  Or simply down to aging. Maybe pulled a muscle underneath.

If it was a bladder infection they may ask for a sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3WIXBEXB8o gives a good idea of how.

I do hope the vet can help you both today.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 01:39:06 PM »
Update.

He’s been to the vets and it is indeed a pulled muscle in his back. I mistakenly took him not settling as wanting the toilet and when I took him out, he just thought ‘hey I might as well go’. So he’s on Gabapentin & Rycarfa for a couple of weeks.

Appreciate the reply thought. Thanks.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
Wishing your little man a speedy recovery and some respite from his discomfort  :luv:

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 05:52:59 PM »
Sending  :bigarmhug: from here too, -its awful having to guess what’s paining them,  back problems are the bane of my boy‘s life, so I do sympathise. Would be interested to hear how he gets on with the Gabapentin.....
Hope he‘s feeling better soon  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 07:13:49 PM »
Poor lad, at least now you know.  Hope he mends quickly.  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 09:54:53 AM »
Do hope he picks up soon.  As someone who has taken Gabenpentin it was a great help with nerve pain. but watch him as it can alter the pain threshold and made me drowsy.

Wishes your boy a speedy recovery.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed