Author Topic: Riley Nearly 11  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Riley Nearly 11
« on: November 21, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »
Hi everyone , I haven’t been posting for a number of years .
Riley is almost 11 (Feb) he’s generally a healthy boy.
I would say in the summer , he started having softer poos, mostly the 2nd  3rd of the day if he did 3.

I had him tested in Oct for Giardia and it came as positive antigen. He had a 5 day course of panacur then 2 weeks later another five days course.
His poo was better.

He’s starting with a rumbly tummy , he’s been sick a few times in the night , on an empty tum, we give him some kibble at bedtime, just a handful , have done this for many years.
He’s become quite gassy too, ans stomach also Rumbly in the dsy time.

He often passes wind not long after eating, it’s bad, he never was a gassy dog before.
He’s fed Eden , also has sometimes some scrambled egg, or fish , chciken etc.

I can get him retested for Giardia (worm count ) website after 3 weeks after finishing osmacur which is next week.

Anyone any advice,? The vet did say I can get his bloods done etc , so leaning maybe towards thinking I should.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Riley Nearly 11
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 02:17:38 PM »
Maybe worth trying some probiotics? Its feasible his intestinal flora‘s a bit out of sync with the Giardia and the panacur etc. They usually start to work fairly quickly so would still leave you the option of blood tests if he doesn’t improve.
Hope he‘s feeling better soon  :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »
Thanks Any particular ones you are familiar with , or would recommend ?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 04:40:09 PM »
I live in Germany so the brand names would be different but I‘m pretty sure someone else here will  suggest something soon  ;)
(Or try typing probiotics in the search)  :luv:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:41:26 PM »
I already give him a yu digest , been doing so since sept.
I’ve ordered another Fortiflora .

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »
My Ollie is 14 - 15 next week.  Is it Yu digest powders!  I have a stock of the powders in - Ollie went through a stage last year where he was windy and his second stool was loose and slimmy, then he would start with a urge to go out. 

It was weird as it was like a 2 - 3 week cycle. The vet gave me a powder from Pooch and Mutt and frankly it was a waste of money - I had previously used Dorwest Herbs Tree Bark in his lunch time meal, then moved on to Yu Digest powder.  When he is really bad one powder 1st and 2nd day then I give half sachets couple days and gradually ween him off.  He has pumpkin and boiled brown rice with Bio Yogurt in his bought food daily and I have very few off days now.

I have noticed that since he got older he cannot tolerate any sudden change in diet.  Hubby used to bring him a sausage from his breakfast when working away and even half would do it.

Ollie has ongoing health problems and is on medication and monthly wonder injection and I did ask the vet only couple months back and she said no problem with what I am doing.

Do hope Riley's tummy settles - these cockers seem to be prone to tummy troubles....maybe there tendency to be like a hoover :lol2:  If not certainly a word with the vet to try and eliminate causes.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 11:46:02 AM »
My Ollie is 14 - 15 next week.  Is it Yu digest powders!  I have a stock of the powders in - Ollie went through a stage last year where he was windy and his second stool was loose and slimmy, then he would start with a urge to go out. 

It was weird as it was like a 2 - 3 week cycle. The vet gave me a powder from Pooch and Mutt and frankly it was a waste of money - I had previously used Dorwest Herbs Tree Bark in his lunch time meal, then moved on to Yu Digest powder.  When he is really bad one powder 1st and 2nd day then I give half sachets couple days and gradually ween him off.  He has pumpkin and boiled brown rice with Bio Yogurt in his bought food daily and I have very few off days now.

I have noticed that since he got older he cannot tolerate any sudden change in diet.  Hubby used to bring him a sausage from his breakfast when working away and even half would do it.

Ollie has ongoing health problems and is on medication and monthly wonder injection and I did ask the vet only couple months back and she said no problem with what I am doing.

Do hope Riley's tummy settles - these cockers seem to be prone to tummy troubles....maybe there tendency to be like a hoover :lol2:  If not certainly a word with the vet to try and eliminate causes.

Aww Ollie, sounds like you are doing all the best for him , managing it well.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:00:02 PM »

Are you aware that you can buy the Fortiflora on line, last packet of 30 was £21.19 from Vet UK hope you can sort Riley's problem out, really soon  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 05:18:37 PM »

Are you aware that you can buy the Fortiflora on line, last packet of 30 was £21.19 from Vet UK hope you can sort Riley's problem out, really soon  :D

Thank you I ordered online