Author Topic: Fly Biting  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Gibson988

Fly Biting
« on: January 31, 2023, 12:34:26 PM »
My 23 month old male cocker has started to what I would call fly snapping. No flys, its just like hes hallucinating.  He snaps in the air and wizzies round frightened.  These episodes last about 45 seconds and we get about 2 episodes early evening for the past 4 days.  Wether this has relevance  he will not go out for a walk at night in the dark.  Gibson is a fit, healthy, happy boy so this is concerning me.  Any ideas?  ps I have made an appointment to visit the vet to get him checked but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Fly Biting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:47:32 PM »
Hi and welcome,
I remember reading that fly biting can  be a sign of an oncoming seizure but to be honest only a vet will be able to tell you if anything is amiss or if its just one of the many unexplainable habits that cockers adopt ;)  so you‘ve made the best decision to get it looked at.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
Jayne

Offline Gibson988

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 09:39:38 AM »
Thanks Jayne,  vet says it may be related to digestion problem so Gibs is having poo samples & blood tests done on Tues.  Apparently its like trying to find a needle in a haystack so first thing first and getting the basics done. xx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:13:33 PM »
Glad you are getting it checked out, I think there are a few things it can be related to. interested to hear how you get on.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 11:23:23 AM »
Good that you and the vet are on the case as I believe it can be a displacement action when pup is in pain/discomfort. A cocker I look after used to do it when he had tooth pain, and has picked it back up now he has COPD. I don't believe fly snapping is related to either condition, just a way to deal with the discomfort. 

Hopefully you get to the bottom of it.