Author Topic: Anal gland - small pea sized lump  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Jacqs

Anal gland - small pea sized lump
« on: February 17, 2023, 04:55:21 PM »
We have just relocated to a different veterinary practice.
Our previous vets found a lump on one of Natti’s anal glands when she was expressing them in early January and that they’d basically keep an eye on it.
It was checked again by a different vet about 2 weeks ago at her 6 monthly prescription review for Metacam (IVDD), and she said it felt around the same size.
We have now transferred to a different veterinary practice and as we were taking our other dog for a checkup we basically asked the vet for her opinion.
She is very concerned that it’s more than likely cancerous because of her breed and her age (11).
This has come as a bombshell as neither of the two vets from our previous veterinary practice even mentioned the possibility it might be cancerous.
I’d welcome any advice on this.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Anal gland - small pea sized lump
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 05:15:18 PM »
I can only tell you of my own experience with this. We had a rescue cocker, and when he was about 8 I noticed a lump on the anus. Went to the vet, our usual one was on holiday and we saw a young locum. He said it might be  cancerous, just to keep an eye on it. I didn’t,t check it every day, thinking it would be too often to notice any change, but in two weeks it was very much larger. Saw my usual vet, who took him straight in and removed a tumour, which sadly metatasised into his spine, so the outcome was very sad.

I'm sorry to hear you're worried you've been let down, but I would go with your new vet's opinion and hopefully get some thing done about it PDQ. Finger's crossed for you and Natti  :bigarmhug:
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jacqs

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 06:14:39 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I’m so sad to hear about your experience and the loss of your dog.
I’ve been researching the internet all afternoon and I’m actually leaning towards our latest vet’s concerns because all the information out there seems to justify them.

“ Anal sac tumours tend to be malignant and invade into tissues outside of the anal sac, and they also have the potential to spread to other areas, including the lymph nodes (‘lymph glands’) under the spine and the lungs.”

“The treatment of choice for anal sac adenocarcinoma is complete surgical excision.”

The only thing in our favour is that the lump is peas-sized and hasn’t increased in size but from what I’ve read that’s not necessarily relevant if it happens to be malignant and aggressive.
At the end of the day it’s NOT supposed to be there, so we need to make some decisions over the weekend.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »
Hi, can’t offer any advice unfortunately but agree with Finverra on taking the new vets advice.
Fingers crossed for you both that all is ok!  :luv:

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 08:21:03 PM »
Sorry to read of your experience and the worry you must be going through at the moment.

Sending some cyber :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you both
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 08:23:27 PM »
Not had that particular issue with any of our dogs, but I would definitely be looking to have that removed. Please keep us posted, sending best wishes for a good outcome.