Author Topic: Histiocytoma  (Read 2047 times)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »
We went to the vets today to get Daisy's stiches taken out.  The wound has healed really well.

Also the vet told me that the lump that Daisy had is known as a hystiocytoma.  There are various sorts apparently, but the one she had was benign.  He also said that once they've had one of these lumps they have a predisposition to grow more :unsure:

Anyway for now everything is fine and she has been signed off - all I have to do now is put my claim into the insurance company for another £196!!!!! :ph34r:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Histiocytoma
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:34:30 PM »
Good job you have insurance hun!!! :lol:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:29:10 PM »
Yes Mich it is - but as we've made 4 claims so far this year I cant imagine they will want to renew :o  :ph34r:   Talk about pre-existing conditions - our list is extensive :rolleyes:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »
Blimey thats alot of claims innit!!! Its only January!!!!! Daisy Doglet, to see you chasing around in that undergrowth after those rabbits no on would know you were such a sickly doggy :lol:

Sarah I was told that about the cyst Milo had in his paw and touch wood, no more have returned........yet :)

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Histiocytoma
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:41:54 PM »
Hi Sarah

Glad that all went well with Daisy's op!

Hystiocytoma seem to be quite common in Cockers.  We've certainly had a few over the years but I'm pleased to say that they have never reappeared on the same dog!

I have only known hystiocytoma's to be benign; their common name is a button cell tumour. They seem to occur in younger dogs rather than older dogs.  Each time ours has had one it's always corresponded with a knock, bump or scratch to the area a few days/weeks before the first sign of the tumour.

When we encountered our first one it was exactly where the dog had been bitten by something.  I have to say something as the poor (stupid!) soul had walked on what he thought was green grass (only to find it was pond weed or something of that nature!)  Dear soul disappeared to the bottom of the Charlton lakes before rising gracefully to the surface with a very bemused look on his face.  Upon closer inspection I could see a “mark” on his lip.  About 10 days later the “mark” started to grow into a hystiocytoma.  As it was unsightly and very noticeable we had it removed as he was due to go to his first dog show a couple of weeks later.  We now leave them alone and find that they disappear of their own accord after about 6 weeks and don't return.

Chrissy

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »
Dear soul disappeared to the bottom of the Charlton lakes before rising gracefully to the surface with a very bemused look on his face. 
[snapback]181405[/snapback]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Poor thing.

Thanks for that Chrissy - TBH I didnt take Daisy to the vet until she had had the lump for 8-10 weeks and it grew a nasty bumpy scab VERY quickly - literally 3 days from no scab to scab the size of a 5p piece.  Thats what worried me more than the lump :huh:

I think she did bump herself where the lump appeared, and I was doing very well with the ignoring thing until the scab appeared - then PANIC!!!!!!!!!!  Hopefully if she ever does get another one the panic will be more controlled :rolleyes:

Daisy is my first dog so EVERYTHING is new - panic has been my middle name for the last 14 months :ph34r:  :lol:

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Histiocytoma
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:06:56 PM »
Yes Mich it is - but as we've made 4 claims so far this year I cant imagine they will want to renew :o  :ph34r:   Talk about pre-existing conditions - our list is extensive :rolleyes:
[snapback]181391[/snapback]

So do the insurance company decide whether they want to keep you then? :huh:

Whats the point in opting for life time cover if they can ditch you like that :(

Got me worried now :(
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline PennyB

Histiocytoma
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:08:24 PM »
Yes Mich it is - but as we've made 4 claims so far this year I cant imagine they will want to renew :o  :ph34r:   Talk about pre-existing conditions - our list is extensive :rolleyes:
[snapback]181391[/snapback]

You're lucky, Wilf's histiocytoma (when he was 5-6 months old) came to about £3000 and still petplan insure us! It only becomes a precondition if you change insurers!

Wilf's was the only one Cambridge vet school had ever seen that was malignant.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 11:13:24 PM »
Indie had a hystiocytoma a few months back. The vet gave him a pain killing injection and some antibiotics and charger me around £40 for them. I was really worried at the time about it as it  literally appeared overnight from nothing to a lump the size of a malteser. I can't remember Indie banging thea area before it appeared, but I guess we don't see everything that they do.

I didn't realise that an insurance company could choose to not re-insure you if you had elected for lifetime cover either.  :blink:  :o
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Histiocytoma
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Poor thing.

Hi Sarah

Poor dog was never very bright in that department, definitely a case of being ornamental rather than useful  ;)

I know what you mean about the nasty scab, yuk, it would frighten anyone!  The reason they are called button cell tumours is they look like button mushrooms that have gone past their best with the big flat top!

Once they get to that stage they are almost ready to sort themselves out.  Admittedly Daisy’s took a bit longer than my estimated six weeks but I guess my point was that if you give them long enough they do go away without lasting for a long time.

I’ve certainly never had one removed since (guess I would though if it were somewhere unsightly or uncomfortable for the dog).  I’d rather leave well alone than mess about with anaesthetics and operations.  

I’m glad you agree that a bump or knock seems to cause them, possibly this is why they are more common in younger dogs?!!!

My vet explained that the bump or knock can cause the cells to over repair themselves and as a result the tumour grows.  Thankfully as I said earlier we have never encountered a non benign one, I think if you do a search on the Internet you will find that the common opinion is that are 99.5% always benign.  However you did the right thing by checking with your vet, I wouldn't like anyone seeing a growth on their dog to automatically assume it was a histiocytoma and not seek a medical opinion (just in case it's something else!).

Chrissy

Offline PennyB

Histiocytoma
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:20:28 PM »
They don't. I think Sarah was jokingly suggesting it (especially if you think I made claims for 3000 in Wilf's 1st year and they still insure him for life for same thing). They will only not insure you if you move companies or if you make a false claim.

Pet insurance doesn't work the same as other types of insurance where you pay higher premiums because you've claimed in the past. Any rises are down to general rises across the board.

If your insurance amount is say maximum 4000 and they pay that out then on lifetime insuracne they are obliged to pay it out th enext year as well relying on the fact that some don't claim on their insurance at all (as I haven't done with one of my cats and the other claim was minimal as was Ruby's claim)

Where you pay an excess then when policy is up for renewal then you just pay the excess again!

If insurers said its lifetime then wouldn't pay up all of a sudden then they'd lose custom. Mine know they've got Wilf with them for life as it would be silly for me to move just in case it comes back, but I could move the others.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Histiocytoma
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 09:50:45 AM »
I didn't realise that an insurance company could choose to not re-insure you if you had elected for lifetime cover either

They don't. I think Sarah was jokingly suggesting it (especially if you think I made claims for 3000 in Wilf's 1st year and they still insure him for life for same thing). They will only not insure you if you move companies or if you make a false claim.

Yes Penny it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment except  our insurance compnay is Tesco's and we didn't opt for lifetime cover :o   My OH organised it - we do insurance and finance for a living - when I asked why he had gone for Tesco's he said 'It was the only website that I could get to work'  :wacko:   My blokey doesn't do technology!!  So I'm not convinced that our insurance is all that great - yes they pay out but not sure about next year. <_<  Have been trying to organise Petplan who will do a two year moritorium on pre-existing conditions so we may have to opt for that and hope she doesnt get any reoccurances.