Author Topic: Can Young Puppies Have Full Anal Glands?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Can Young Puppies Have Full Anal Glands?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 12:57:15 PM »
Just to let you know, Barney went to the vets yesterday for his second vaccination.

I asked the vet about his scooting, so she checked his anal glands.  Much to Barneys disgust!
The left gland was full, though the contents were normal and nothing to be concerned about.  The right gland was empty.

There's been no scooting since.  :D
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
Thats Good. Jazz has terrible Gland problems. No sooner than they are emptied, she scoots again.

Started very Young.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
There's only one thing worse than the smell of anal glands, and that's infected anal glands. Th vet nearly knocked me out last week. :005:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 09:54:24 PM »
Is emptying easy to do (apart from the peg on the nose) :lol: ?  Ben is 11 months tomorrow and has had his emptied twice - he is now scooting again!  I have tried to mimic the vets technique and can feel two lumps (sorry to Ben for posting this  :005:) but not too sure what pressure to use so haven't tried emptying them yet.  The vet does it so quickly and charges so much for an appointment that I would like to be able to do the deed myself.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 09:57:42 PM »
Is emptying easy to do (apart from the peg on the nose) :lol: ?  Ben is 11 months tomorrow and has had his emptied twice - he is now scooting again!  I have tried to mimic the vets technique and can feel two lumps (sorry to Ben for posting this  :005:) but not too sure what pressure to use so haven't tried emptying them yet.  The vet does it so quickly and charges so much for an appointment that I would like to be able to do the deed myself.

I have done them on bigger dogs; I was taught by the vets years ago  - but never tried a small breed  ph34r
Will the nurse do them for him? The appointment is often cheaper and she may be prepared to teach you how to do them if you can go in at a quiet time of day??
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
Thanks Rachel - I'll ask next time. ;)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 11:23:40 AM »

It's not something I'd like to try!! Your right the vet does it so quickly, but I didn't ask how to do it myself.  Barney was none too pleased at having it done (though he is a cry baby!), so I'm not sure I want to become nasty mummy yet!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Emma Hill

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 10:18:36 PM »
Hi Guys - Freddie went to the vets yesterday as I suspected that his glands may need emptying - he was scooting after going to the toilet and jumping round to bite his bum. He also looked like he was constipated a few times.
The vet did the business but there was no liquid, only gas, which the vet suggested may mean that he has an infection. He gave us a 10 day course of anti-biotics so fingers crossed.
One slight problem is that he has gone for both me & my husband a few times in the last week - totally unexpectedly and very much out of character. I have noticed that it has happened a couple of times when I have gone to touch his front paws ( I am sure these are connected in some way to the Anal Glands?????).
This behaviour has also co-incided with me having him shaved (at a recommended groomers) and worry that it could also be connected to this? He is 8months old and usually very loving.
Any suggestions?
Emma